Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switch rod  (Read 5689 times)

obie1fish

Switch rod
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:08:39 PM »

I have an 11 foot, 8/9 Flextech switch. Any suggestions re: a good grain weight for the line? Any thoughts on the rod, especially from anyone who has tried one?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Switch rod
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:49:41 PM »

I have two. One has a blue Scandinavia line and I have a hard time casting it. The other has a Rio SwitchChucker and I can get 60-80' cast with ease. Not sure of the weight...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:15:07 AM »

being an 8/9wt I would think a Skagit in the 600-725 grain window should work nicely. I wasn't able to find much info on the brand. If you want a Scandi line then drop about 50 grains off the skagit size to match it. Make sure you know the difference between the lines and how they cast and what you want it to be able to do before buying as there is a huge difference

You may need to borrow some lines to play with in order to find the one that fits best for you. I had to do this for an older switch I had when switch rods were still relatively new to the game, fun process for sure
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »

Are we discussing Flextec rods from the UK or is there a Flextech brand ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

obie1fish

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 03:32:25 PM »

I believe the UK. I was told these rods were supplied to the Irish during the World fly fishing championships a few years ago.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »

I think the 600-725 grain window would be a tad heavy for an 8/9 switch.  I have a 10' 6" 8/9 Beulah 'classic' and the skagit head they sell as their 'Tonic' line for this rod is a 22.5'  450 grain head.  Works well for me.

ByteMe

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »

I believe the UK. I was told these rods were supplied to the Irish during the World fly fishing championships a few years ago.

UK rod line ratings are different than N. America ratings, as they use AFTMA standards. Your 8/9 switch would be best a 7/8 by US ratings. I have an old Made in Scotland Daiwa Whisker switch rod rated 7/8/9, I have been using 5/6 NA rated lines on Skagits at 400gr, Scandis at 350 and short head speys at 430grs
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »

I have a short 8/9 Loomis spey at 12' 6" and it runs a 550 Skagit max (short 23' shooting head). If you have a different rating then I have not clue.  Sounds like you will be in the 450-550 region.

Try your local tackle shop, many shops carry lines you can try out before you buy.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »

try contacting them and ask for a recommendation: https://www.flextec.co.uk/pages/contact-us
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

obie1fish

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 09:13:25 PM »

This is great information, everyone. It has cleared up a lot of additional questions I had. Thanks for all the help.