Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soowahlie Netting and Snagging:  (Read 27260 times)

dave c

Re: Soowahlie Netting and Snagging:
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »

C’mon guys, I know I am as guilty as any for derailing a thread but this is getting silly.  The original post by buck was about Soowhalie band members snagging and netting fish on the Chilliwack River.
Last I heard this practice has stopped, most likely the result of negative social media and perhaps more importantly, the actions of band chief Brenda Wallace.
Spoiler nailed this earlier … Wallace is a bright lady and would not want any bad PR between anglers and Soowhahlie members.
Is it okay to fish on north side of river now, or will one still be threatened if fishing there?

Tylsie

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »

I hope the snagging has stopped, and be surprised if it hasn't. It would not be in the best interests of the First Nations to have videos released. No on cares about anglers, but the public...

As for the the other discussion, it is 2 seperate issues. Unless things have changed the Minnie/Stoney access case is set to go to court in January 2017. As for the Corbett Lake, the official maps up until the late 80s or very early 90s (I am away right now and can't remember) clearly show that the one corner, the one that the members of the NVFGC use to access it, belongs to the highways and is Crown Land. No one is claiming that the other 95% of the land surrounding the lake is private. It has been asserted that the land may have been deeded in exchange for other property but numerous FOI requests have failed to provide anything. There is no date, no contract, nothing. All it would take is the Resort or the Province to provide proof that the land was transferred sometime in the last 20 years and the whole issue would be dead in its tracks. Instead you people charged with trespassing, the charges dropped, and the Crown officially saying that ownership is in dispute. It is a mess!

In my opinion, everyone should donate to the NVFGC. Even if the court decides that the highways act does not apply they at least are trying to fight for public access. I have seen many many lakes closed off in my life time and I am only 35.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2016, 07:56:07 PM »

Is it okay to fish on north side of river now, or will one still be threatened if fishing there?

I would recommend staying out of that area. Why go fishing when you'll be looking over your shoulder every 15 seconds? Where are you going to park without getting your windows smashed? Not worth the confrontation - just my opinion.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2016, 09:44:46 PM »

Priceless Dave! Here where some members are conditioned to react to reports of some 1st Nations people 'misbehaving' as Pavlov's Dog reacted to his dinner bell. On vacation traveling some 4000 k through the Province ( I just got home on Sunday)  I read some of the responses steeped in general ignorance and was glad I lacked the time or resources to respond. Good to hear people follow wise counsel. I like Rieber's approach. I never presume to preach to 1st nations folks exercising their rights to fish as they understand them - I just say good morning - how's the fishing for you, what are you trying to catch this time of year? Then I watch how they relax just with just the  exchange of simple pleasantries.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dave c

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2016, 11:42:09 AM »

I would recommend staying out of that area. Why go fishing when you'll be looking over your shoulder every 15 seconds? Where are you going to park without getting your windows smashed? Not worth the confrontation - just my opinion.
park at on the way store. Are windows being smashed there?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »

I've seen glass there before - I used to fish that back run quite often but no more. I really don't think natives would smash glass there but the damn thieves will. Having said that, thieves will smash windows everywhere to a point where it's one of the reasons that I don't bother to go anymore. Heck, Sockeye were on sale at Save On a couple days ago for right around $20 for a clean, head off fish. One broken window claim costs me $300 so I would much rather put 15 sockeye in the freezer and not stress over river fishing problems.

Anyways, I can't even worry about that these days, I got rear-ended on Hwy 99 about 6 weeks ago which dislocated my shoulder and buggered my neck and back so I'll be very surprised if I get to go out to the Vedder this season. Physio two times a week and I'm fearing that surgery might be required.

trootn

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »

I've seen glass there before - I used to fish that back run quite often but no more. I really don't think natives would smash glass there but the damn thieves will. Having said that, thieves will smash windows everywhere to a point where it's one of the reasons that I don't bother to go anymore. Heck, Sockeye were on sale at Save On a couple days ago for right around $20 for a clean, head off fish. One broken window claim costs me $300 so I would much rather put 15 sockeye in the freezer and not stress over river fishing problems.

Anyways, I can't even worry about that these days, I got rear-ended on Hwy 99 about 6 weeks ago which dislocated my shoulder and buggered my neck and back so I'll be very surprised if I get to go out to the Vedder this season. Physio two times a week and I'm fearing that surgery might be required.
So if you dont want to go fishing whats the point of going on a fishing forum? If you notice one area with lots of break-ins its time to look for a new spot!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2016, 07:00:24 PM »

So if you dont want to go fishing whats the point of going on a fishing forum?

Ha, ha what? That's really good. I didn't do anything news worthy but I still read the newspaper. I don't need a new boat but I check the Craigslist ads. I don't need or want another wife but I'll still take a glance at a woman. I don't hunt bear anymore because I know Milo walks among them.

What's this have to do with squirrel turds - nothing but nuts.

If you notice one area with lots of break-ins its time to look for a new spot!
  Park where you want. What do I care? Your point is good though. Personally, if I see a lot of vandalism activity - I tend to keep out of there.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:05:12 PM by Rieber »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »

So if you dont want to go fishing whats the point of going on a fishing forum?

LOL... that is not only embarrassing reading comprehension, it's embarrassing rationale.  ???

dobrolub

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »

Ha, ha what? That's really good. I didn't do anything news worthy but I still read the newspaper. I don't need a new boat but I check the Craigslist ads. I don't need or want another wife but I'll still take a glance at a woman. I don't hunt bear anymore because I know Milo walks among them.

What's this have to do with squirrel turds - nothing but nuts.
Your posts are awesome Rieber. I thoroughly enjoy them.
PS. Oh, ya, get well :)

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2016, 10:04:27 AM »

Ouch, sorry to hear that.  Tell you what, I'll do you a favour.  Let me know where all your honey holes are and I'll fish them for you and report back so you can vicariously live though my reports?  :) 

Back and neck issues are serious business, so good luck with the physio and not having to need surgery.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2016, 10:54:17 AM »

Thanks for the luck on the physio. My honey holes are no secret. River changes every year so any place close to the bank under branches where the water slows a bit and is at least waist deep works for me on the fly. Only problem is once a gear chucker sees you hook up, they bee-line it to you to get in on the action.

No worries, any suitable water where there isn't anyone else on it is the water that I target.  Good luck.