Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soowahlie Netting and Snagging:  (Read 27257 times)

sugartooth

Re: Soowahlie Netting and Snagging:
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 09:41:47 AM »

Sorry Rodney I don't know his name but I do have his phone number if you'd like that.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »

Sure, please feel free to send it over.

Next time phone DFO's ORR line: 1-800-465-4336. The RAPP line is provincial and for salmon related violations, you should usually be redirected to DFO instead of a CO.

sugartooth

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »

I will pm it to you Rodney. You would think that the DFO and CO's would be on the same page regarding violations.

buck

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »

Snagging ongoing again today. Reported this info yesterday to DFO but to no avail.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »

Snagging ongoing again today. Reported this info yesterday to DFO but to no avail.

Post pics I'd like to see what's happening
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

spoiler

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »

For everyone's information Brenda Wallace is the chief and band manager for the Soowahlie First Nation. I would assume she would be opposed to negative publicity for her band and it's members.
Somebody with some political clout should inform her of the goings on at the river on the Soowahlie Reserve.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 12:26:03 PM »

My understanding is that the east side of that area is NOT native land. Not sure what makes them feel entitled to own the entire stretch of the river??

My understanding as well but ....

Google maps suggests otherwise, but I don't know how accurate this is.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Soowahlie+Indian+Band/@49.0790802,-121.9785282,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x62bb4babd21af9f5!8m2!3d49.0790802!4d-121.9697735

At first I thought there was no way that map could be accurate, but some googling led me to this page on the Stats Canada website which has boundaries that look pretty darn close to that google map. Is this right? Because from the looks of it native land could actually cover approx 1 km of river, including both banks and more...

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »

Thanks for digging this info. I think it's same to assume that the north east part of that beach is NOT native land (both maps confirm this). however, you probably have to trespass through their land to get safe access to that area. Once you are on the beach, just walk a bit up towards the rapids and you'll be outside of their honey hole. It's a shame that they use illegal methods to harvest fish but hey, at the end of the day we all want to have a safe and fun day on the river. A fish or two is not worth wrestling with the ...

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »

Looks like the Soowahlies learn from those natives blocking the lower Capilano. Now if only they will use rock weirs. LOL. This country should really rethink why native's rights can be such that exclude other Canadians' rights to the fish that are raised from public funded hatcheries. There should be no such thing as blocking the entire river by rock weirs or nets to keep every fish for the 'stewards of the land'. Hearing those terms and seeing what actually happen on the rivers just make people sick of the hypocrisy.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 01:46:39 PM »

I don't agree with thier actions But perhaps,  if those who came to this land (100+ years ago) didn't pillage so much and decided they could control nature perhaps this situation could have been avoided.

Put up a dam and introduce a hatchery to appease.

There were a lot of rivers and streams that were very productive before greed got in the way.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 01:52:33 PM »

There were a lot of rivers and streams that were very productive before greed got in the way.

...and where does your electricity come from?? :o

dobrolub

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 03:53:20 PM »

This is not about who we blame for the past, it's about how we move forward.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 05:19:34 PM »

--It would appear from the Soowahlie facebook page that the leadership is reminding members of the rules for this fishery and asking all to abide by them. I presume they have the same % of bad apples as the rest of us.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »

......was(from across the river) confronted,shouted at and threatened in the area sunday morning by a band member in a red and white ford pick-up...was somewhat unsure of reserve bounaries but did access area below high water mark... nav/waterways law probably does not apply to them either???.....left after a couple more casts and warned two other anglers showing up as I left.....better quieter water elswhere.....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart