Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soowahlie Netting and Snagging:  (Read 27255 times)

buck

Soowahlie Netting and Snagging:
« on: September 13, 2016, 05:09:22 PM »

Now that the gates are up, the Soowahlie have been netting and snagging on a daily/nightly basis. They have also been very aggressive toward any anglers who might be in the vicinity. Too many eyes for their liking. I observed them snagging numerous chinook and coho with large treble hooks and removing their nets just before daylight. These are the people who portray themselves as resource managers and are one with nature. Do not park on the reserve as they will have your vehicle towed.
It is interesting they want people to come to their campsite and gravel trucks to transport gravel but are creating tension between anglers and band members. There are some really nice people on the Soowahlie reserve who will be tarred with the same brush. There is always one or two who will spoil it for the rest.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Soowahlie Netting and Snagging:
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »

I see you've found my fish Buck. ;D I wonder why that school of fish has been shrinking daily and glad I wasn't imagining the whispers in the bush when I arrived before dawn. ::)

I sent an email out this afternoon regarding this issue actually, would like to see what C&P's response is. I believe RCMP attended the site this morning when they were called in. That netting is intercepting all of the fish heading above that section of the river since it's strung across the main channel. I'll fish again when it starts raining.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »

I have witnessed the obvious snagging as well as retention of wild coho and overnight nets in that area before in years past as well as some pretty aggressive behaviour if anyone questioned the offenders.

One time a few years ago fisheries officers arrived while I was there and when asked they responded that unless there was a some kind of opening, First Nations members did not have to have a fishing licence to fish but did have to abide by the same regulations and quotas. Whether the officers would enforce the regs against the above offences knowing the storm that would erupt, I don't know.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 07:45:50 PM »

Me and my fishing partners got chased out of there on Sunday evening. There were 5 guys 3 of which were snagging with treble hooks. They had a little aluminum boat they were going back and forth with getting more people onto the Chilliwack side. They were barking at us heavily saying we don't belong here, this is native land, ect... I assume they pulled the nets out after we left.
We called it in to DFO. Don't fish there alone

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 09:20:34 PM »

Me and my fishing partners got chased out of there on Sunday evening. There were 5 guys 3 of which were snagging with treble hooks. They had a little aluminum boat they were going back and forth with getting more people onto the Chilliwack side. They were barking at us heavily saying we don't belong here, this is native land, ect... I assume they pulled the nets out after we left.
We called it in to DFO. Don't fish there alone
Is this in the reserve downstream of On The Way?  I can't imagine a boat in the water there.

dobrolub

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 09:38:24 PM »

That's the one. A boat could be used there with ease.

As for the natives, I've always felt that giving them a special treatment is a big mistake. Allowing them to install a gate is yet another mistake. We should all abide by the same law, no exceptions.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:40:12 PM by Rodney »

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 10:04:45 PM »

My understanding is that the east side of that area is NOT native land. Not sure what makes them feel entitled to own the entire stretch of the river??

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 10:06:55 PM »

My understanding is that the east side of that area is NOT native land. Not sure what makes them feel entitled to own the entire stretch of the river??

Google maps suggests otherwise, but I don't know how accurate this is.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Soowahlie+Indian+Band/@49.0790802,-121.9785282,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x62bb4babd21af9f5!8m2!3d49.0790802!4d-121.9697735

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 10:08:45 PM »

Is this in the reserve downstream of On The Way?  I can't imagine a boat in the water there.
Yup.
I should have taken a picture but I was concerned about the welfare of my friends and I. It was a 10-12 ft aluminum flat bottom boat. They had it in an old  pickup. A white guy was driving an older white jeep and pulled up beside them with 4 others in the jeep, and helped them launch the boat off the steep cut off bank. Then the yelling started once they were in the water lol

grayman

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 10:23:02 PM »

What's the exact location where they are deploying the nets?

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 10:25:44 PM »

Google maps suggests otherwise, but I don't know how accurate this is.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Soowahlie+Indian+Band/@49.0790802,-121.9785282,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x62bb4babd21af9f5!8m2!3d49.0790802!4d-121.9697735

Thanks for the map. So, the highlighted square (darker gray) marks their boundary?? The northern beach is right on the edge.

spoiler

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 08:48:43 AM »

I think the best response is for as many people as possible call DFO and RCMP to report this activity and take lots of pictures. Just like anything else the more attention this gets, the more likely the authorities will take action. it wouldn't hurt if someone could drag the Global news crew out there when these activities are taking place then put the Soowahlie Band council on the hot seat to answer for their band members bad behaviour. That group is small and close knit so I'm sure everyone on that reserve knows what's going on. I'm surprised that their leaders let this crap continue when there's a risk it will all be exposed!

dobrolub

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 09:03:52 AM »

I agree with 'spoiler'. Taking my camera with a good zoom along in case I see this going on. This needs to be exposed.

Also, would the new fishing alliance be contacting the band to stop illegal fishing activities? I'd think sending them an email with reference to this thread included may be a good idea.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:41:01 AM by dobrolub »

sugartooth

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 09:31:01 AM »

After I reported the net I saw on Friday to the rapp line, I received a call from a co telling me that the First Nations are allowed to use nets from the mouth of the vedder all the way up to chilliwack lake.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 09:37:34 AM »

After I reported the net I saw on Friday to the rapp line, I received a call from a co telling me that the First Nations are allowed to use nets from the mouth of the vedder all the way up to chilliwack lake.

That is so ridiculously incorrect. What was the name of the CO?