Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass fishing  (Read 11894 times)

Dylb

Re: Bass fishing
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »

Largemouth in Deer Lake as well? Or just Smallies...

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 11:21:20 AM »

There are no smallmouth bass in the lower mainland.

On the Island and Okanagan only.

A blue fox is not a great option for a shallow, weedy environment.

SilverChaser

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 05:05:10 PM »

Went out to Fishtrap and Albert for the first time ever with my brother today. Luck at both spots. Does anyone know if their is any bass fishing closer to Chilliwack?
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Dylb

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 09:38:55 AM »

Not to my knowledge. With the exception of Chadsey lake (top of sumas Mountain) in Abby... I think that's physically closer to the Whack? but with the drive up the mountain and hike to the lake... Mill, Albert and Fishtrap are still your closest bet.

Where did you fish on fishtrap and what did you use?

SilverChaser

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »

I think you are right. Im out in Chilliwack so I was just wondering. Might be some hidey holes somewhere.

My brother and I circled all of Fish Trap tossing the line in wherever we could. We found our best luck to be opposite of the main Ellwood Pier and also on the bridge by the ball diamonds. Since the sun was out and such, we found the bass to be lower down and under the pads, as should be, however we did see a 1-2 pounder in like 8 inches of water. When my bro tossed a worm in front of his face, he turned and cruised back under the pads. At the beginning we were tossing top water worms and then near the end we were tossing heavier worms to get them down under the pads. Both produced however.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 09:47:41 PM »

Went out to Albert Dyck today between 11am and 4pm. Fished dew worms under a float. Started at the dock and then continued clockwise around the lake, looking for weed patches to target. Water was super warm and saw tons of fish swimming around, thanks to polarized sunglasses. The fish seem bigger this year than last (or maybe I'm just out later in the summer!). Caught about 10 or 11 fish, with lots more bites and escapees. Caught a couple of sunfish today too. Finally hooked one of those big bass I've seen lurking below the dock! Measured it with a tape and it was 11.5". Caught a slightly smaller one too from the big gravel bay, around 10 or 10.5". The rest were 6-7".

Would recommend this as the place to try bass fishing if you're just starting out.