Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 78861 times)

dobrolub

With 4 more days to go till the end of August the Albion catch for Chinook doesn't look bad at all.

Oh... And there are three Ho's in the nets as well this week. Hooray!

Coho:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:51:18 PM by dobrolub »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

?  What's wrong with wool?

Nothing. Some people associate using wool with flossing.

armytruck

• Old Timer

Spot closures are nonsense. They won't stop BB-ing. They just makes it less effective. It will still be more massively easier than bar fishing.
So you think spot closures won't effect the masses to all return ?. Maybe they will find new ground . Without access to these places , and I think we know these areas well , they will least likely to come back . I think most do not own a boat ,so access to anywhere will prove to difficult and they won't return this year maybe . We need to do something and a spot closure is better than nothing .
So    It's not nonesence , it's affective and that's a point in the right direction .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

typhoon

• Old Timer

agree , let`s start with artificial baits such as yarn :) lets make bait fishing only ... or gear like spoons/spinners ....
What? That doesn't make sense. Yarn is not the problem.

hrenya

What? That doesn't make sense. Yarn is not the problem.
yarn is the cheapest "bait" , and as regs state "no empty hook allowed" .
u think if regs would change to "gear , bar fishing , fly fishing only or float set up" and those the ones who bb will snag few times a loose quite a few $ , wont consider that it is cheaper to buy fish ?! Go check cap after rain or cable pool , couple guys with spoons , couple fly fishing , few guys float fishing and ARMY with lead hook and a wool . This is so sad ...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

"no empty hook allowed" .

correctly called a bare hook...but carry on! ;D

Also as a dyed in the wool (pun intended) fly fishing purist, I can tell you the only difference between a 'fly' and wool on an 'empty hook' is 200+ years of snobbery.  8)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer

Also as a dyed in the wool (pun intended) fly fishing purist, I can tell you the only difference between a 'fly' and wool on an 'empty hook' is 200+ years of snobbery.  8)

Re-quoted for awesomeness!

@AaronWilde, if you were to fish for pinks on the fly fishing only section of the Campbell River, you might revise your opinion; sure it may not be intentional (sometimes), but it can be difficult not to when you need to get the fly down in front of their faces.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:57:06 PM by Knnn »

hrenya

correctly called a bare hook...but carry on! ;D

oh wow ... if that`s the only thing u r pointing , can I assume that u agreed with the rest ?! :)

hrenya

Except that I think most fly fisherman aren't trying to floss or snag with a fly, whereas wool on an empty hook may have malicious intent.. lol. Used legally wool can work too, like a fly!
MOST is the key Aaron :) remember pink season and fly fishing guys flossing them with sinking lines ? :)  that was brutal to watch :(

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

In my direct experience you can snag/floss fish with most any rig. I've never been able to do that with either dry flies or wet flies swung on a floating line. I did line a chum on a swung floating line once but then it was a "willing participant". It rolled on the surface mouth open and just happened to catch the fly line betwixt the corners of it's jaws, about 30 feet from the fly. It was quite the task trying to pull that line through the big buck's teeth down to the fly & Mr Dog didn't like it much so a hook up never happened. Fly lines are not 'efficient flossing tools' contrary to the sweet dreams of some gear fisherman, though long leaders can be. Can't equal a 3oz bouncer and 15 feet of leader tho'.  ;D

Some guys won't even fish flies in moving water with a fly & prefer slower places like the Harrison or various sloughs as they are afraid they might get their hands dirty. Last fall I found circle hooks reduced foul hook ups dramatically.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:10:28 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

armytruck

• Old Timer

What does fly fishing gibberish have to do with salmon closures  :o ;D . Shouldn't that be in the Fly Fishing Cafe section  ;)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

What does a bulk of this thread have to with fishing closure and updates?
This thread went off course a while ago.
Interesting input none the less! ;)

Tylsie

In my direct experience you can snag/floss fish with most any rig. I've never been able to do that with either dry flies or wet flies swung on a floating line. I did line a chum on a swung floating line once but then it was a "willing participant". It rolled on the surface mouth open and just happened to catch the fly line betwixt the corners of it's jaws, about 30 feet from the fly. It was quite the task trying to pull that line through the big buck's teeth down to the fly & Mr Dog didn't like it much so a hook up never happened. Fly lines are not 'efficient flossing tools' contrary to the sweet dreams of some gear fisherman, though long leaders can be. Can't equal a 3oz bouncer and 15 feet of leader tho'.  ;D

Some guys won't even fish flies in moving water with a fly & prefer slower places like the Harrison or various sloughs as they are afraid they might get their hands dirty. Last fall I found circle hooks reduced foul hook ups dramatically.

While I agree that fly fishing is now way to snag/floss on the Fraser on smaller streams, say up the size of the C/V, it can be quite effective (barring dry flies of course). The problem isn't the ones equipment, it is what you intend to do with it.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

DFO's reason to shut down the recreational sector at this stage of the sockeye run is really unnecessary and unjustified. They are saying that even a single sockeye lost by the sporties is not worth risking so they shut down the entire creational fishing for that. Yet at this late in the game of sockeye run where they already know this is a low cycle, the test nets are continuing. Just the Albion nets alone have 50 sockeyes killed in the last few days together and 560+ since August 1st. Be real. Considering that the mortality rate is so low, 1 in more than 100, sporties will have to hook 50,000 sockeyes accidentally as a by catch in the last few days and 500,000+ sockeyes since August 1st to equal to what a single test net is doing to the stock. That is too far fetched a number of sockeye hooked by sporties, even taking into bb activity. So why it is more important for science at this late stage where it is already decided to have no fishing at all by all sector to risk killing more sockeye. Are the nets and whatever meaningless result of statistics (because it is already fact we have a low run) that more important to the scientists than risking sinking the sport fishing industry which according to Fred is worth 100s of millions to the economy and many related businesses are being hurt? Shut down all the darn nets now if DFO is really down to not risking one more sockeye for their so called conservation concern. There is still the sonar at Mission Bridge and the fish ladders at Hell's Gate to help them gauge the run. There is no need for more killings by test nets. If they just shut down one test net, it will be enough sockeye saved to justify opening the Chinook fishery which has next to nothing impact on the sockeye stock.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:24:30 PM by Steelhawk »

TNAngler

DFO's reason to shut down the recreational sector at this stage of the sockeye run is really unnecessary and unjustified. They are saying that even a single sockeye lost by the sporties is not worth risking so they shut down the entire creational fishing for that. Yet at this late in the game of sockeye run where they already know this is a low cycle, the test nets are continuing. Just the Albion nets alone have 50 sockeyes killed in the last few days together. Be real. Considering that the mortality rate is so low, 1 in more than 100, sporties will have to hook 50,000 sockeyes accidentally as a by catch to equal to what the test nets are doing to the stock. So why it is more important for science at this late stage where it is already decided to have no fishing at all by all sector to risk killing more sockeye. Are the nets and whatever meaningless result of statistics (because it is already fact we have a low run) that more important to the scientists than risking sinking the sport fishing industry which according to Fred is worth 100s of millions to the economy and many related businesses are being hurt? Shut down all the darn nets now if DFO is really down to not risking one more sockeye for their so called conservation concern. There is still the sonar at Mission Bridge and the fish ladders at Hell's Gate to help them gauge the run. There is no need for more killings by test nets. If they just shut down one test net, it will be enough sockeye saved to justify opening the Chinook fishery which has next to nothing impact on the sockeye stock.

First, I believe they do DNA testing on the fish caught in the test nets to determine destination (which tributary they are travelling to).  I know they do on some of them.  Hard to do that at the sonar and fish ladders without catching the fish there.

Second, and this is probably the most important point, I fully believe DFO knows if they open the sports fisheries up, the FN nets will be in the rivers and a large number of the last little bit of sockeye coming in will disappear from the system.  If they keep the whole thing closed, maybe some of these will make it.  If they open sports fisheries for anything, no matter the spot closures, gear limit, anything, you will have nets back in the system.  Even using the larger mesh, by-catch of sockeye is almost guaranteed.