Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 78818 times)

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Ugg...so much BS. If we all stopped buying licenses and shut down the hatcheries ( no more of my damn money funding ) how long would it take before there was nothing left? not very long... certainly getting tired of the same old same old "f you rec guy, just keep funding this s$#t
for us, suckers!".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:56:24 PM by minnie-me »

hrenya

Rodney , so if no one is buying licenses and no one is buying tags , where the money will be coming from and who will pay for keeping stocks and hatcheries alive ?!

Sage2106

Nobody will pay for it. The hatcheries will close and because the rec sector aint carrying the load anymore fish stocks will collapse extrodinarly fast
.I'm to the point of why keep paying for something I can't access. I would even be willing to may more for licenses and tags if I was still allowed to fish.

Sage2106

It becomes evident that it's 1 giant circle jerk. Rec sector puts money in to stocks in jeopardy and try to avoid said stocks. Ie interior coho Thompson basin steelhead fn drift gill nets at those crucial times taking fish from those stocks. Stocks dwindle more rec sector puts in more money repeat..... The drifting of gill nets has to stop if it doesn't with in a half dozen years there is no coming back

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I hope there is a license boycott next year! Go ahead shoot yourselves in the foot. Think of all the bank space there will be for me! Yeah! ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sage2106

Who says I won't be fishing?

armytruck

• Old Timer

According to the DFO, the restoration of wild salmon and their habitats will be supported further through the Recreational Fisheries Conservation Partnerships Program, which funds 55 community projects in BC.

The federal budget in 2016 gave $197.1 million to increase the fisheries department and freshwater science program. This includes hiring 29 new scientists, biologists, oceanographers and technicians for the Pacific Region.

"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

clarkii

• Old Timer

Ugg...so much BS. If we all stopped buying licenses and shut down the hatcheries ( no more of my damn money funding ) how long would it take before there was nothing left? not very long... certainly getting tired of the same old same old "f you rec guy, just keep funding this s$#t
for us, suckers!".

Yeah try that and tell me why dfo would care if you don't buy a freshwater license.  As for buying a tidal license not sure how those funds are diverted.

armytruck

• Old Timer

does the pacific salmon foundation get nothing from the province? or any salmon projects?
https://www.psf.ca/contributors/thank-you-list

dobrolub

Culture of special entitlement needs to stop. Fish doesn't care whose hand is holding a bonker. When the last fish is bonked it would still be the last fish. If the groups keep arguing amongst themselves it does no good to the cause. Every group may have a good case. I often hear a sentiment that natives lived in balance with the nature and so on, so here is a chance to prove it!

Special thanks go to the government for allowing destroying fish habitat: e.g. allowing soil dumps near Chehalis; for LNG; for C site dam;
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:12:23 AM by dobrolub »

Rieber

• Old Timer

Just think how cozy the Vedder will become once the COHO come in. This might be it for me on the Fraser and Vedder/Chilliwack. In fact I don't think I'll bother with the Salmon or Steelhead in the LML anymore - for me, the fun has gone. :'(

On the positive note, with me out of the river, two regular sized guys can take my place.  ::)

Sad that I witnessed the complete collapse of freshwater salmon fishing during my fishing lifetime. Maybe it will recover, but I think not.

banx

reading the various threads online and on facebook it's obvious the system in place is flawed.  It's creating an environment of confrontation and straight up racism.

some sort of system needs to be created where transparency and accountability are at the fore front. the resource needs to be managed with the cooperation of user groups.

the racist comments are seriously bull$h!t.  Theres likely only 5% of the recreational fishermen here that actually try to enhance the resource, maybe even less.  I am confident the vast majority of you have never written a letter to your elected representative. nor have you voiced your concerns among established non profit groups within the lower mainland. F#@K, most of you leave timmy cups all over the trails on the various rivers we have here.

naw, instead you go online and say natives are lazy and sell fish outta trucks.  thats cool  ::). funny how i never met a lazy white guy or a criminal caucasian  ::).... maybe trace your ancestry to wherever the hell your from and head on back.   :P

if you don't like the system, help to change it or leave.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:42:02 AM by banx »

armytruck

• Old Timer

TNAngler

reading the various threads online and on facebook it's obvious the system in place is flawed.  It's creating an environment of confrontation and straight up racism.

some sort of system needs to be created where transparency and accountability are at the fore front. the resource needs to be managed with the cooperation of user groups.

the racist comments are seriously bull$h!t.  Theres likely only 5% of the recreational fishermen here that actually try to enhance the resource, maybe even less.  I am confident the vast majority of you have never written a letter to your elected representative. nor have you voiced your concerns among established non profit groups within the lower mainland. F#@K, most of you leave timmy cups all over the trails on the various rivers we have here.

naw, instead you go online and say natives are lazy and sell fish outta trucks.  thats cool  ::). funny how i never met a lazy white guy or a criminal caucasian  ::).... maybe trace your ancestry to wherever the hell your from and head on back.   :P

if you don't like the system, help to change it or leave.

While I get the sentiment, I can understand the other side too.  I grew up in WA.  My dad put a lot of money and time into raising salmon eggs and repopulating streams that no longer had salmon.  I spent a lot of time at those boxes, removing bad eggs, feeding the fish, releasing them into different areas.  We raise coho, and a lot of them.  People came from the official hatchery and from other areas to view our process because we were doing it better than they were able to.  The first year we were supposed to get escapement back, there were a couple, very large coho but fewer than we expected.  The next year, none.  A lot of time was spent looking for the problem.  Unfortunately, it wasn't too hard to find.  There was a net, strung across the creek entrance and inside the net were dozens of huge, hook nosed coho that were trying to return to where we had planted them.  My dad lobbied the fisheries to stop them from completely netting off the stream entrance.  He tried to appeal to the tribe.  Nobody cared to do a thing.  The next year, when that net reappeared, we were done raising salmon.  All we were doing was putting money into some other guy's pocket and it wasn't restoring the fish at all.  The fish had no chance and nobody that had the power to do something about it cared enough to do anything.  All it was was taking what they could get right then and there.

That isn't living in harmony with the land.  That isn't policing your own group.  Sure, maybe that was a bad egg in the bunch but if that is the case, then the elders should have heard what was happening and put a stop to it.  Unfortunately, the bad eggs in the bunch rarely seem to be reprimanded from what I am able to see.  It sure doesn't stop them from continuing.  If the FN want to claim they are helping protect the runs, then they should be out policing their members.  Anybody caught fishing when they aren't supposed to, fishing in a way they aren't supposed to, breaking any of the rules with respect to harvesting or catching salmon loses their right to fish for some significant length of time (like 5 years).  You can't be for conservation of the runs and then let people of your group rape the runs at the same time.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

seriously dfo needs to get there cupcakes together. on there website it still says that chinook are currently open for areas 29-6 to 29-10. is it open or is it closed. i searched for FN0837 on their web site and  nothing comes up. no wonder there are so many people breaking the rules. you need a lawyer to figure out when you can and cant fish.