Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 78841 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016
« Reply #225 on: September 01, 2016, 11:33:03 AM »

It currently doesn't matter. Under the regs right now there is nothing requiring the fish to actively bite. As long as it was hooked in the mouth, then by definition is is not snagged.

Interestingly certain jurisdictions like Oregon, Washington, and California have implemented anti-snagging rules that require the fish to willingly take the hook into its mouth and therefore flossing is not a legal technique. Ironically, BC used to have similar wording like that in our regs many years ago, but was changed some time ago to what we have now, and here we are. I dont know the history of when/why/how it was changed but its interesting to see what has developed since then.
I've never seen it enforced in Washington, and some rivers are notorious for intentional flossing, i.e. Whatcom Creek, Samish River, Skokomish River and the Puyallup river.  They have tried introducing regulations such as requiring float fishing only, or requiring your presentation to be moving (not resting on the bottom), but those seem to have been abandoned.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #226 on: September 01, 2016, 12:55:48 PM »

It's a lot tougher to enforce. People will always find a way. Unless you go to fly fishing dry lines no added weight like some Atlantic rivers, it will continue.
Leader length restrictions I would guess some would switch to full sink fly lines. Don from SPOTF has proven on his show how easy it is to floss on the fly up on the Skeena. A black mark on an otherwise great show.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #227 on: September 01, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »

The regulations in parts of Atlantic Canada are intended to avoid unintentional snagging not flossing. Don Freschi didn't 'prove' anything. A lot of nattering nellies assumed the Freschi's were flossing salmon and steelhead. They didn't even use sink tips  but the 'plop' method with big split shot and that's what got some hackles up.

Flossing with a fly rod requires long leaders - just like flossing with gear. Sink tips used in streams like the Skeena etc are so thick they can't floss efficiently in any sense - they are thicker than any mono or braid in use. In clearer water fish can see even clear intermediate lines & they just move out of the way - I've watched schools of salmon part like the red sea to avoid sinking lines drifting towards them.

It's about time drift anglers with little or experience with fly fishing stop pontificating about what can be done with fly gear and what can't.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

baowu2

« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »

when hunting season starts, should make the animals willingly biting the bullets. :)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #229 on: September 01, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »

I've seen plenty of fly flossed salmon Ralph and so have you if you've ever fished a pink run or chum hole. I saw a steelhead coming in sideways before it popped off this year on the Vedder, the guy was so proud. Funny.
I doubt a salmon would see a spring line off a barge before hit it in the face on the Fraser.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #230 on: September 01, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »

It's about time drift anglers with little or experience with fly fishing stop pontificating about what can be done with fly gear and what can't.

Are you admitting to us that you've attempted fly flossing? Or are you just pontificating whether it can be done because you haven't actually tried to floss with a fly? 
Please, do tell!

hrenya

« Reply #231 on: September 01, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »

Very good points NA ... respect for putting them together in your questions to Ralph . I really want to see what he will answer :)

Alomar

« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »

Any word on tidal opening? Predictions?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »

I've seen plenty of fly flossed salmon Ralph and so have you if you've ever fished a pink run or chum hole. I saw a steelhead coming in sideways before it popped off this year on the Vedder, the guy was so proud. Funny.
I doubt a salmon would see a spring line off a barge before hit it in the face on the Fraser.

you're talking about snagging not flossing. Pretty clear you've not much experience with fly gear.

How can you tell a flossed salmon from one that's taken the fly?

Pinks and chum are dead easy to catch without lining them.

Are you admitting to us that you've attempted fly flossing? Or are you just pontificating whether it can be done because you haven't actually tried to floss with a fly? 

I've flossed sockeye both with gear and fly tackle. I fly flossed sockeye in 2010 pretty easy. Depends on the water though and the river discharge. I am quite happy to floss sockeye when the runs are strong. Won't do it when DFO directs the use of selective techniques - though they include fly in that list.

Hell if we were allowed I'd use a little section of gill net like people do for smelt. A fish is just a fish after all.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:33:03 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

losos

« Reply #234 on: September 01, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »

It currently doesn't matter. Under the regs right now there is nothing requiring the fish to actively bite. As long as it was hooked in the mouth, then by definition is is not snagged.

Interestingly certain jurisdictions like Oregon, Washington, and California have implemented anti-snagging rules that require the fish to willingly take the hook into its mouth and therefore flossing is not a legal technique. Ironically, BC used to have similar wording like that in our regs many years ago, but was changed some time ago to what we have now, and here we are. I dont know the history of when/why/how it was changed but its interesting to see what has developed since then.

Interesting ,but again who and how will determine how the hook was swallowed ?

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #235 on: September 02, 2016, 12:05:30 PM »

Fishery Notice

Category(s):

ABORIGINAL - General Information
 COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
 COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
 COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll
 RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject:

FN0944-Salmon - Fraser River Salmon Update - Areas 11 to 29 - September 1, 2016

As a result of the smallest return of Fraser sockeye on record, the level of
harvest already incurred and the uncertainty about the survival rate of sockeye
that have been exposed to harmful environmental conditions within the Fraser
River, there will be no food social and ceremonial or recreational fisheries
directed on sockeye or any other salmon species which would result in sockeye
mortalities in the immediate future.

Opportunities for selective chinook directed food, social and ceremonial
fisheries are being considered for the September 17th time period which is
generally when Fraser sockeye have cleared the lower Fraser on this cycle.
Recreational opportunities for chinook directed fisheries are also being
considered beginning September 19th in the lower Fraser River. Earlier opening
dates may be considered if the Whonnock test fishery sockeye catches drop to
zero over three consecutive days and the Albion chum test fishery net also has
no sockeye catch over 2 consecutive chum fishing days during the same time
period indicating that sockeye migration has cleared the lower Fraser. (Note
that the Albion chum net is fished on only on odd-numbered days in September).

Catch data for the Whonnock and Albion test fisheries can be found at the
following websites:

Albion chum test fishery
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionchum-keta-
eng.html

PSC Test Fishing Summaries (click on the link for Whonnock)
http://www.psc.org/info_testfishing_summaries.htm

For clarity, any fisheries occurring in this time period will be subject to
selective fishing provisions normally implemented during the coho window
closure.  Gill net fisheries will not be permitted during the coho window
closure. 

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Jennifer Nener 604-666-0789

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0944
Sent September 2, 2016 at 1054
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Alomar

« Reply #236 on: September 02, 2016, 05:10:35 PM »

That sucks

Tylsie

« Reply #237 on: September 02, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »

Yup, that sucks but should of been done a few weeks ago. They have known that sockeye were record lows for a while but still kept allowing harvest. Just really bad for that it basically means the Fraser is done for the year.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »

by the 3rd week of Sep there will only be white chinooks going up river. Reds will be rare to catch by then and we will be well into the bait ban period. Bar fishing with bait is a write-off in my books for this season. Can't entirely blame the DFO for this but rather a sad state of affairs for the Fraser stocks...  :(
On a separate note, we've been fishing the sandheads and T10 over the last couple of weeks with very low catch rate. Majority of the fish caught were either jacks or weighed between 8-12 lbs. This year's Chinook run is no where close to what we got last year. On a positive note though, we've seen a good number of cohos caught in the salt which could be a good sign for the fall fisheries in the river.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #239 on: September 09, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »

A friend that fishes Tahsis says there has been a very good run of Coho there this year.
The biggest he has caught so far is 16lbs.

Those fish aren't necessarily returning to the Fraser but it sounds better than the Chinook returns.