Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 78807 times)

bmynbr

I can't understand why they would go so far as to close the mouth to salmon fishing - are any sockeye being intercepted by those trolling for springs?

We were trolling t10 marker last week, and the only thing we got was a sockeye, and a dogfish.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

i also have been to t10 3 times. i hit 0 sockeye, 1 65cm white spring (if had to guess local Harrison fish feeding) and a dozen dog fish. the salt guys are not impacting sockeye numbers what so ever. so this closure kind of gets me.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

not everyone has the resources that enable you to have a boat that can go past the mouths of the fraser. i see lots of other boats out there that are quite small. i have a jet boat so i dont go to far unless winds are cooperating. i launched at macdonald and fish the north side of bowen in the spring. on the way back after picking up my crab traps in west van it got nasty. if i didnt have air ride seats i dont think i could get through the south arm mouth with the amount of traffic that goes through there.

canso

• Old Timer

there is a ridiculous amount of coho in the straight...... So look forward to river coho action, It should be insane this year.

Every Day

• Old Timer

If you boycott licenses, you're not hurting DFO or sending a message to them at all. You'll be impacting your interior trout fishing opportunities, the higher enforcement presence this year, and steelhead/cutthroat fishing in a number of hatchery systems. Your license sales don't go to salmon... They go to trout and steelhead.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

there is a ridiculous amount of coho in the straight...... So look forward to river coho action, It should be insane this year.

i hope you are right. the only thing i don't like about targeting them in the salt is the damage that can be done to wild fish. if you can call them that anymore. maybe its just me but i have seen a lot of coho bleeders in the chuck.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

does the pacific salmon foundation get nothing from the province? or any salmon projects?

hrenya

for who ?! fn or commercials ?

dave c

Lets hope FN aren't allowed to string a net across the CV for coho, like they were for sockeye.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

FYI, the salmon conservation surcharge that you pay on your freshwater fishing licence actually does not go to DFO. It directly goes to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation, which funds hundreds of projects like habitat restoration, building new infrastructures for anglers, research, etc...

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

cool, thats good to hear.

hrenya

If you boycott licenses, you're not hurting DFO or sending a message to them at all. You'll be impacting your interior trout fishing opportunities, the higher enforcement presence this year, and steelhead/cutthroat fishing in a number of hatchery systems. Your license sales don't go to salmon... They go to trout and steelhead.
why I should bother buying salmon tag on both ? steelhead tag on fresh ? if I fish for trout or w/e I must have stamp for steelhead ... even if where is none ... for what ?! I can legally fish wish just license w/o stamps,so should I bother buying them or just c&r ? since u can`t fish for them at all :D

hrenya

FYI, the salmon conservation surcharge that you pay on your freshwater fishing licence actually does not go to DFO. It directly goes to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation, which funds hundreds of projects like habitat restoration, building new infrastructures for anglers, research, etc...
where does the tidal one go ?!   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:27:53 PM by hrenya »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

where does the tidal one go ?!

Pacific Salmon Foundation.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

What a mess...