Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Thompson  (Read 1928 times)

santefe

The Thompson
« on: August 07, 2016, 03:22:03 PM »

Thinking of going for a day trip, maybe to Spencer Bridge.
Is there any fishing to be had in the Thompson, at this time of the year?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: The Thompson
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »

Fly fishing or spincasting for rainbow trout.

Birkenhead

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 04:28:47 PM »

As Rodney mentioned, there are rainbow trout but fishing in that area has been slow this year. Best bet for a day trip is to Gold Pan Provincial Park which is a reasonable day driving distance and has good access to the river. I find that on the Thompson, first light and about 2 hours after is prime. After the heat of the day has past, evening fishing on that portion of the river can also be good.

For gear, I find a small lure or a fly works good. Some of my best results have been with the old Doc Spratley design or close iterations of that fly in red.  Also the regs for the Thompson are: Only allowed to retain trout with a minimum length of 35 cm and only 1 over 50 cm. The daily retention quota is 2. Barbless hooks only allowed. Check the official regs for more info.

santefe

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »

Well I did go to Spencer Bridge the other day.  It was hot and very windy so much so that it was difficult to cast a fly or throw a spoon any great distance.
Saw a few trout rising.  Watched a fellow panning for gold and saw a few very tiny flakes.  Also had a tour of the hotel in town.,
All in all still a good day trip.