Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non Selective Fishing.  (Read 13007 times)

fisherforever

Re: Non Selective Fishing.
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »

Pretty sad today, stopped in Freds to make $100 donation to the Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance and what do I see - bouncing betties for sale. When I asked the clerk why they were out for sale I was told Fred has to make his money! At least Chilliwack Dart and Tackle has theirs not in view and btw not many guys asking for them either. Needless to say I did not donate. I guess it's really just about profits for some.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 11:50:22 AM »

Pretty sad today, stopped in Freds to make $100 donation to the Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance and what do I see - bouncing betties for sale. When I asked the clerk why they were out for sale I was told Fred has to make his money! At least Chilliwack Dart and Tackle has theirs not in view and btw not many guys asking for them either. Needless to say I did not donate. I guess it's really just about profits for some.
Ouch.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 12:48:34 PM »

How ironic that is huh.....
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

nosey

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »

Chwk dart and tackle has always taken the high road when it comes to ethical and conservation matters. They get my money any time I shop in  Chwk,  I'm pretty sure that's Freds will never get another dime from me,  if all the salmon runs out there are nothing but dollars and cents then we can rank the sports fishery right up there with the other users of the resource and kiss the biggest run of sockeye in the world good bye forever.

Tee

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »

Change regulations to set-line only.

Fly fishing would be discriminated against if such a regulation was adopted.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 09:28:40 PM »

If I understand correctly, is not Fred's Custom Tackle a member of the Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance? The FRSA fought for an opening, even threatening to go as far as organizing a protest fishery, yet its' members sell the very tackle that supports the bottom bouncing activity, which is non-selective, and which contributed (according to Rod) of closing down the fishery mid-season last year.

In fact, the fishing report on the Fred's Custom Tackle website asks anglers to not bottom bounce: "We are asking anglers to be selective and avoid Sockeye by not bottom bouncing during times of Sockeye concerns"

And yes, bouncing betties do have other legitimate uses besides bottom bouncing. We'll be using them next month to troll for lake trout in Isaac Lake when we canoe the Bowron Lake chain.     

I am not slagging Mr. Helmer or his business, and I know that he is a sponsor of this website. You have to sell tackle to survive, and if I were in his business shoes, it would be hard to do any different.

But it is ironic, as JC says, and just shows how complicated this whole affair is.       

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2016, 10:43:13 PM »

Keep them behind the counter OUT OF SIGHT like cigarettes I think!!!
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

TNAngler

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 07:49:57 AM »

yet its' members sell the very tackle that supports the bottom bouncing activity, which is non-selective, and which contributed (according to Rod) of closing down the fishery mid-season last year.

I'm pretty sure Rod's post actually indicated the opposite, mostly.  Using faulty data, faulty examinations, faulty conclusions, they closed the fishery last year and used it as the scapegoat.  Seemed like they were set on closing it and just needed a reason.  I guess I could be misreading it too.  It also isn't a "problem" they seem to want to fix.