Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hook size for Chinook  (Read 13967 times)

Drewhill

Re: Hook size for Chinook
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »

Are you sure it's the hooks? Could be bad hook sets, you're fighting the fish wrong, dull hooks, etc... there are a million things that could lead to losing fish.

bobby b

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »

Yes it could be any or all of those things ......
 My question was a result of being told by another fisherman that I was using too small a hook ( size 1 ) for chinook.

I always use sharp barbless hooks. Hook set.....hmmm yes could be that too as my rod is fairly flexy ( 3113LB ), but have had no prob setting the hook with other species.

Talked to the guys at Pacific Angler and they too say that size 1 is too small for chinook, they recommended either 2 or 2/0.

I'll try 'em and report back when I land one this weekend  8)

Cheers and thnaks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Fish on!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »

Talked to the guys at Pacific Angler and they too say that size 1 is too small for chinook, they recommended either 2 or 2/0.

??? A size 2 is smaller than a 1

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »

Losing two fish really isnt a large enough sample size to determine that you are losing fish due to hooks being too small. You were probably just unlucky.

You could definitely go up a size or two if it gives you confidence as springs aren’t known to be hook shy, but size 1 is probably the most common size hook on the C/V and account for many many salmon including huge white springs without problems. Check them regularly to  ensure they are always sticky sharp (Gammies I find don’t hold their points particularly well), and set it hard when they hit.

wonder

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 03:44:52 PM »

for some reason i lose 90% of fish i hook on size 1. I've switched to size 2 for low water and 1/0 for springs and have had a lot more success

bobby b

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »

??? A size 2 is smaller than a 1

Yup my bad, guess either a 1/0 or size 2/0 ....   2/0 or one size smaller I think thats what they were getting at. 
I assumed 2 was the next size bigger than a 1 but the next size smaller than 2/0 ....hook size #'s confuse me sometimes :P

bobby b

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »

I bought 2/0