Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vancouver saltwater reports  (Read 4058 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Vancouver saltwater reports
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:23:01 AM »

Any updates to our local saltwater fishing reports ? . I see the last reports here on this site was from a month ago in May . Anyone here tried there luck , Horseshoe Bay , Bowen etc? . Thinking of heading out this weekend up around Porteau Cove .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Vancouver saltwater reports
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:27:04 AM »

Crabbing was good on the weekend.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 10:59:12 AM »

Report from Pacific Angler, June 17th:

"VANCOUVER SALTWATER REPORT
Well the fishing on South Bowen from Cowan Point to Roger Curtis continued to be good this past week.  Saturday in particular was very good, Sunday was slow, but then it picked up again mid week.  The chinook, and now plentiful coho, seem to be full of anchovies for the most part.  The bait has been fairly shallow and so are the salmon.  Hot depths have been 20-80 on the riggers with 35, 45, 55, 65 being hot.  Try shallower when it is overcast and deeper when it is sunny.  Productive flashers have been the gold or silver Betsy or Super Betsy, Green Onion or Green Onion Glow, Purple Onion or Purple Onion Glow, UV Jelly Fish Yellow Green Kinetic Mist aka Club Dub or Club Dub Glow, and of course the Salty Dawg.  A 6 foot leader to an anchovy has been hard to beat.  On your shallower rods use a UV Purple Haze teaser head or a chrome green and chartreuse teaser head.  On  your deeper rods use a glow teaser head like a Bloody Nose or glow green and chartreuse.  Spoons have also been working very well.  A 3.5 or 4.0 will represent the bait well.  Any good spoon l like a Kingfisher, Oki Titan, Pesca, Gibbs Skinny G, etc will all work.  Some of the favourites this week have been Cookies and Cream, Irish Cream, Mojito, Gut Bomb, and Clupea.  Others have been doing well on hootchies but I have mostly been running spoons and bait.  A white UV hootchie with a 28 to 32 inch leader is a good choice on your shallowest rod as there have been lots of coho around and they love that hootchy.  It will work for chinook as well as witnessed by me personally when a colleague landed a 31.2 pound chinook hooked at 60 feet on a white UV hootchy last Saturday, right next to our boat.  Nice fish Paul!  Most of the chinook have been 10 to 20 pounds and there are lots of undersize but there are a few slabs swimming around so make sure you leaders are in good shape after releasing numerous small fish."

Hope this helps.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »

Thank you for that report  :) .
Just one quik question ; I am armed with an abundance cut plugs of various colors and sizes . Would they be a good option other than what you listed ? .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »

Thank you for that report  :) .
Just one quik question ; I am armed with an abundance cut plugs of various colors and sizes . Would they be a good option other than what you listed ? .

Yes, those would be a good option also. They've worked for me while Chinook fishing. Have fun and Good luck!

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 07:22:41 AM »

A little late but... I was out with my son Sunday June 26.  We fished between Pt. Atkinson and Eagle for a couple of hours.  2 shakers and 2 rock fish to the boat.  The rock fish went back to the depths.  The wind kicked up and we decided to fish in sheltered water by the research centre on the east side of Atkinson.  Water trolling past the point was reaching 6ft!  We had no touches on the East side of Atkinson.  Returned to Rocky point with nothing but sun burns and good memories of a day on the water with my son.