Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano coho  (Read 8171 times)

Sinergy

Capilano coho
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:05:16 AM »

Hey so today my friends want to go to Capilano would a spin and glow work there and what size? My setup it 25 pound test I got few 12 Oz weights and  size 0 spin an go and number 1 hook pink and orange wool we were going to go to vedder but they changed there mind after I got my chinook gear

VA7DDP

Re: Capilano coho
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »

Ok..... I presume you either did no research, or went to army & navy (inside joke)

12Oz Weight on the Capilano..... I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that........

Seriously just search the forum, don't rely on the advice from the staff at Army & Navy (if thats where you shop) their staff are clueless. The guys told me the only way to catch spring on the Vedder was to bottom bounce over by the rail bridge.

If your too lazy to do your own research, go to a reputable tackle shop like Sea Run, or Berrys and get some advice from them they will be happy to help.

Just go buy a few crocs, and a drift setup or two if your fishing the actual river. 2in Buzzbombs and #35 Kitamat Spoons if your fishing the mouth

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 05:39:52 PM »

Too heavy gear for my liking and the water is too low.

Try craigslist for spoons, I found some that worked really well.
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »

Good advice above.  You appear to be set up to bar fish for Chinook in the Fraser River with 12 onz weights.  Also, 1) there are no Chinook in the Cap at the moment (although they will arrive later in the season) and 2) there are no big gravel bars to set up a spin and glow system on the Cap, it's just not that type of River.   While it is possible you may catch something with a fixed spin and glow system, your odds are very very low.  So to answer your first question would a spin and glow work on the Cap, highly unlikely under current conditions and only slightly more likely when the river levels come up and Chinook enter the system.

You would significantly increase your odds of catching coho or Chinook later on by dead drifting roe, Colorado blades or red, red/white, salmon coloured wool under a float, chucking spinners or spoons, or fly fishing with a full sink line and sparse flies.  Even on a bigger river like the Vedder, you would be better off with these techniques rather than a spin and glow IMHO.  A small spin and glow with a little roe or shrimp shorted floated could work well.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 06:28:04 PM »

When bait is allowed.
Check the Regs.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »

Good advice above.  You appear to be set up to bar fish for Chinook in the Fraser River with 12 onz weights.  Also, 1) there are no Chinook in the Cap at the moment (although they will arrive later in the season) and 2) there are no big gravel bars to set up a spin and glow system on the Cap, it's just not that type of River.   While it is possible you may catch something with a fixed spin and glow system, your odds are very very low.  So to answer your first question would a spin and glow work on the Cap, highly unlikely under current conditions and only slightly more likely when the river levels come up and Chinook enter the system.

You would significantly increase your odds of catching coho or Chinook later on by dead drifting roe, Colorado blades or red, red/white, salmon coloured wool under a float, chucking spinners or spoons, or fly fishing with a full sink line and sparse flies.  Even on a bigger river like the Vedder, you would be better off with these techniques rather than a spin and glow IMHO.  A small spin and glow with a little roe or shrimp shorted floated could work well.

Actually there are a few in the system right now. A buddy of mine got one in april around 18 lbs. Seems to be 1 or 2 in the cable pool every other day, and they are not steelhead im certain.

hrenya

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »

When bait is allowed.
Check the Regs.
aug-oct bait ban

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 09:55:07 PM »

Actually there are a few in the system right now. A buddy of mine got one in april around 18 lbs. Seems to be 1 or 2 in the cable pool every other day, and they are not steelhead im certain.

Cool, but I don't think they turn up in good number until later in august (I think).  Would anyone mind telling me when the main Chinook run is in the Cap?

Silver

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:36:09 PM »

Ok..... I presume you either did no research, or went to army & navy (inside joke)

12Oz Weight on the Capilano..... I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that........

Seriously just search the forum, don't rely on the advice from the staff at Army & Navy (if thats where you shop) their staff are clueless. The guys told me the only way to catch spring on the Vedder was to bottom bounce over by the rail bridge.

If your too lazy to do your own research, go to a reputable tackle shop like Sea Run, or Berrys and get some advice from them they will be happy to help.

Just go buy a few crocs, and a drift setup or two if your fishing the actual river. 2in Buzzbombs and #35 Kitamat Spoons if your fishing the mouth

All good information...just something to add...

I went to A&N to get a few small things, and ended up with a completely different arsenal and strategy for the early Cap coho. The new seasonal guy blew my mind with the small presentation approach. Everybody knows to go light, but now I'm in a 7' ultralight, tiny reel of 8/6 lb flouro, throwing 1/16-1/8 oz lures...all proven Cap specific. He really knew his stuff and has tons of experience on the river.
Apparently, this setup (with larger lures) is also suitable for the fall runs too...but I'll stick with my heavier gear.
Also, when asked about the use of roe...I was told that it's just not necessary as the fish take the artificial lures just as readily.
So, at least this year A&N seems to have a knowledgeable sales guy.

All the professional tackle stores are excellent, but I have found Highwater to be exceptional for the Cap. Not only did the girl spend an hour teaching me the ropes in my first year (getting me into my first handful of fish with those methods) but the Cap guru owner has more than once given me seminars on everything from timing, location, strategy, etc when I just call for a report...so give them a shot too.

Actually, Pacific Angler, and West Coast also gave me some great Cap specific info...between these three you could write the Cap bible.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 08:06:48 AM »

Cool, but I don't think they turn up in good number until later in august (I think).  Would anyone mind telling me when the main Chinook run is in the Cap?
Special few come up from April-August then September 15ish-November

Sinergy

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »

Actually there wasn't a post about the capilano and second like i wrote. I was planning for chinook in the vedder and my friends changed there mind to go for coho in the cap. And yes obviously i never fished for salmon before other wise i wouldn't be asking. I only started this spring and i been trout fishing 2 times

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 08:13:17 AM »

That time of year again, anybody been out yet?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »

That time of year again, anybody been out yet?
If you have, keep that info to yourself.  Last time there was post about fish seen at the Cap during the summer, there was no parking spaces a few days later. Go figure :)

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »

If you have, keep that info to yourself.
ha! This site's success will be its demise.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »

ha! This site's success will be its demise.

There might be the odd one there but tho coho have not shown up in numbered yet in the salt water. CAP typically is mid July and depends heavily on if there is enough water comming out.