Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A questions about Hardy mooching rod  (Read 2636 times)

hammer

A questions about Hardy mooching rod
« on: July 07, 2016, 11:10:47 AM »

For the Hardy experts out there. I just picked up a mint condition Hardy moocher for a family member. When I put the pieces together all the way, I noticed there is a uniform gap of about a cm.

I seem to remember that this is correct to the model and I know some newer rods have this design. However, I am not 100% sure. Can someone who has expertise with this rod confirm this?

Thanks

Hammer   

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: A questions about Hardy mooching rod
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »

It's the same with my Hardy Ten Ten

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »

when they are new they don't fit tight,i was told by earl Anderson(hardy rep) in the 70/80s to rub pencil lead on the ferrel and work it till tight fit. my old rod is tight and I have another unused  one which has the gap. the best live bait rod ever.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 05:15:22 PM »

If it is a spigot or internal ferrule (like below from Scott Rods) then that is the way it is supposed to be. The gap allows some room for wear. It's a very reliable & strong style of join but has lost popularity because most people don't like the look.

you might be in terested in the discussion is this link - check the reply from The Glass Master, the 2nd response down: http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49802

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:27:02 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

hammer

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »

Thanks everyone.
It is as I suspected and you people confirmed. This is called a spigot ferrule and designed this way.
Thanks for chiming in.

Hammer