Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 35 years fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder river  (Read 5730 times)

Silex-user

35 years fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder river
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »

I guess I put my 2 cent report here since it is my 35 years fishing Chilliwack/Vedder river. I first started fishing the Chilliwack river back in Jan. 1981 during my University days. I did not have clue what I was doing wrong back then as tall skinny kid wearing rubber hip boots armed with Hardy Ten Ten drift rod and ABU ambasseduer 6000C reel. Bait for choice If I remember correctly was good old red/white spin glo using Maxima 12lbs test leader and size 2/0 eagle claw. I did not hook anything the first season and there was limit of 2 wild steelhead you can keep. It was following season when it went to catch and release for  wild steelheads when I finally caught my first.

Over the 35 years I meet some awesome steelie fisherman, some became good friends. I have witness lots of change from allowing to kill 2 wild steelheads to able to keep 2 hatchery steelheads  for brief periods and down to 1 hatchery hatchery steelhead nowdays. Biggest changes was the diversion of this great river after catastrophe floods.

I caught lots of salmons and steelheads during those 35 years and the fondest memories is not how many steelheads I caught in one day or biggest but taking my son on his first steelhead fishing trip. It was many moons ago during School Spring break (March) where were fishing mid section he caught 2 steelheads. One was wild and second one was silver hatchery steehead about 9 lbs. I ask if wanted to keep it and he said "sure I wanted to show Mom" Priceless moment. Almost brought tears in my eyes. I thought nobody is going believed me that my son caught that ironhead so put on my license. My son was 14 year old kid.

So this morning headed to Vedder river to gave it go. I wanted fished the lower section and when pulled in to parking lot there is still sheet of ice. The truck skidded a little bit but I am glad I did not skid into other person car. Walk about good 500yds observed the run downstream and saw 2 fisherman on North side and 3 fisherman on South side. I fished way above anybody aleast 200yds from the nearest fisherman on North side of run. I think made about 9 cast and I hook into a wild chrome steelhead about 13-14lbs. It came flying out water when it was first hooked and I try to applied as much pressure as possible. It got within about 12 feet from shore and I can see it was a wild. The hen shot back out back out fast current again and after about 4-5 minute battle the hook came out. Disappointed? no I was just happy to able fished this magnificent river and catching an elusive steelhead was a bonus.

There be more battles in years to come and my only hope is I be able to take my grand children to fished this  awesome river in  the future.

Oh by way I should call myself Silex-user anymore maybe should change to Classic ABU Ambasseduer user. ;)

Sorry for terrible writing. I not much pen pusher since my University days.

Silex-user

fishbuster

Re: 35 years fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder river
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:11:54 PM »

Thanks for sharing and the report.  Teaching our kids the ropes and watching them bring a fish in, brings joy to any father.  Well done.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:04 PM »

Thanks for the awesome report  :)

Kever

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:48:58 PM »

Great story. Thanks.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:55:37 AM »

Loved reading this. May you have at least 35 more years of great fishing ahead of you - hopefully you can take your son again too. :)

one more cast

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:39:23 PM »

Such a great heart felt read. Thanks for this..I needed that :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »

Nice post!  I have about 15 more fishing years on you but totally agree, we are so fortunate to have this magnificent river available to us ;)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 08:28:30 PM »

Thanks for a cool report.
You are right about what makes the best days out and it isn't allways the fish.
Our Son didn't like fishing and couldn't be bothered going as he grew up.
Then the teenage years when he didn't want to do anything at all that Dad did.
Now he is 25 and he had just booked some vacation days at work and asked me if him and I could go up to Sheridan Lake for a few nights.
You guessed it,im one happy Dad. :)

Sinaran

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »

thanks for the report, great read, that was very heart-warming!
i can still remember the first couple years into fishing, the outcome was very much all i cared about, being able to bring home a few catches meant something.  As years gone by, i evolved, especially my mindset and attitude toward the sport.  Nowadays, i look at the sport of fishing in a different angle.  I look at it as a moment when i could finally interact with the beautiful nature this province has to offer, and a great opportunity to spend some quality time with my close ones, those are really something no catches can replace.  Your story inspired me, i would really hope some day, i would take my old man fishing again :D 
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!