Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preventing smoked salmon sticking to rack  (Read 9702 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Preventing smoked salmon sticking to rack
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »

I use a Bradley smoker and a basic dry brine to produce my smoked salmon. The product is good but I have trouble with the salmon skin sticking to the rack. I use Pam spray on the racks but it still is a problem . Any suggestions ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Preventing smoked salmon sticking to rack
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:31:58 PM »

I don't put anything on the rack and I don't have a problem.
I usually let the fish cool off on the racks then carefully work them off if they stick a bit.
Try letting them cool on the rack to firm up some.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:46:40 AM »

I think it's the sugar from the dry brine that causes the fish to stick, but can't figure out how to avoid the problem.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »

I only use dry brine for salmon.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »

I use a Bradley smoker and a basic dry brine to produce my smoked salmon. The product is good but I have trouble with the salmon skin sticking to the rack. I use Pam spray on the racks but it still is a problem . Any suggestions ?

I never use Pam (or other cooking sprays).  They contain nasty propellants (most make use of a hydrocarbon such as propane or iso-butane) and also lecithin (a soy derivative to help mix the oil and water) that builds up on the cooking surfaces that don't have food on them (it ends up a sticky brown goo that's next to impossible to scrub off!).

Either buy a pump sprayer that you pour oil into and pump air pressure yourself, or pour a bit of oil into a bowl, dip a paper towel into it and rub down the grill.  Healthier and saves the environment at the same time!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:33:34 AM »

Don't spray.

Use canola oil via a paper towel and wipe the racks.

Use a metal spatula or a hard plastic one to slip under the skin and remove the filet.

Personally I don't care if the skin sticks because II'm separating the flesh from the skin anyways for eating/vacuum packing. So if some sticks it gets removed in the cleanup soak anyways.

Good luck.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 10:35:21 AM »

I think it's the sugar from the dry brine that causes the fish to stick, but can't figure out how to avoid the problem.

I never dry brine but don't you wash off the sugar before smoking?? When wet brining I have to rinse the brine off with water and let it dry on the racks before smoking. Allows for pelicle to form which is important to making smoke stick.

doja

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »

Hang them.... 

Old Blue

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:37:49 AM »

Paper towel and canola or olive oil and do it on both sides of the rack and don't be shy about it.  Your racks will clean up much easier too.