Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New click reel for lake and streams.  (Read 5533 times)

Stantonius

New click reel for lake and streams.
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:58:49 PM »

Hi guys, I need to get a new trout reel for the lakes and small streams. I'm looking at the new school Pflueger Medalist. Anybody try the new ones? Also any other suggestions for a good click reel for 5/6 wt would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ajransom

Re: New click reel for lake and streams.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:24:59 PM »

Another good option is the orvis battenkill. It's a traditional click and pawl reel at around $150. I have the previous model on my 4 weight and really like it.

Stantonius

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:59:29 AM »

Yes, I was thinking of the Battenkill. I really like Orvis reels and that model has good reviews. The reel I'm replacing was an Orvis Rocky Mountain 5/6.. Great reel and held strong for like 25 years! It would probably still be going if I didn't have to use it as a backup reel on the Squamish last year... Chums destroyed it :(

Thanks!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »

Ross has reels in that price range as does Sage but maybe not click reels. The medalist looks good but the basic reel is an old design. The closed cage system has no rolled edge for palming and it tends to reduce the line capacity. It mainly seems aimed at the nostalgia around the original and the fact it's machined. It might be just right for you though.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Stantonius

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:31:46 AM »

Yes, closed cage vs open rim for palming. Playing a bigger fish and palming is the best! Strangely, I just started putting that factor into the search. I came across an old Sage 506 for sale locally. Apparently Hardy built them for Sage a few decades ago? Anyway I'm going to have a look at it as well as what our shops have.  Thanks for the heads up on the Medalist too!

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »

Have a battenkill and i love it, awesome little reel and the small size helped me land one of my best fish in a stream.

Also at I think 3.2 ounces the battenkill is way lighter then a medalist.

Stantonius

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »

Ended up getting an old SA system 7 reel. Absolutely loving it! Tried it out on Dardanelles lake last month and caught a couple 3-4lbers, and the Hardy clicker screamed! You can actually hear them echo on the water at night :)

Thinking of getting into a Marquis no.1 or 2 for my 7wt switch now.

ajransom

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »

Ended up getting an old SA system 7 reel. Absolutely loving it! Tried it out on Dardanelles lake last month and caught a couple 3-4lbers, and the Hardy clicker screamed! You can actually hear them echo on the water at night :)

Thinking of getting into a Marquis no.1 or 2 for my 7wt switch now.

I would highly recommend the Marquis! I have a Marquis 2 on my 7 wt spey rod and love the crap out of it!