Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pike minnows and peamouth chub part of whitefish quota?  (Read 7581 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Pike minnows and peamouth chub part of whitefish quota?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »

I cooked dogfish one time and it was great until after dinner when I said what it was.
Spices, marinades can change dull into good.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »

I have a similar question that may never come up a problem for myself but interested to know about quota of mixed species. In this case is kokanee vs sockeye or salmon daily quota. Does kokanee quota from any lake count as salmon for the daily salmon quota which is usually 4  around Region 2? Like, for example, if you catch the limit of 4 kokanee from Kawkawa Lake, can you legally retain more salmon from the Fraser on the same day?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:20:55 PM by Steelhawk »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 01:23:48 PM »

Kokanee and salmon daily quotas are separate.

TimL

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »

I cooked dogfish one time and it was great until after dinner when I said what it was.
Spices, marinades can change dull into good.
that's something I won't mind trying. I've had properly prepared shark (not dogfish) before and it's delicious plus there are no bones. Back where I came from (SE Asia), sharks and rays (esp. Stingrays) are popular food and sport fishes. Bbq stingray is one of the favorite dishes there..and it's one of mine too. 8)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:09:26 PM by TimL »

hrenya

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 05:08:17 PM »

Hyperbole much? If you were actually starving you would eat one without question and be glad to have it. In fact if someone were to cook one up properly and serve it to you without you knowing what it is, you'd probably just shrug and say 'it tastes like fish' ...
that's right :) but some people think that fish other than salmon - is not eatable

sbc hris

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 11:59:40 AM »

I'll eat almost anything. I am far from picky and have a very adventurous palate. I've eaten many kinds of fish. (Sculpins, white fish, bass, catfish, etc. ) But the odour of a pike minnow alone is enough to turn my appetite off... I can't imagine them not tasting like they smell. But I could be wrong. I try not to even touch them when I catch one, cause I can't stand the smell of them on my hands  :o they have got to be the worst smelling fish I have ever encountered. But in saying that, people used to offer to buy them off of us when we were kids.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »

Nothing smell worst than an aged white spring, lol. Pikeminnow has too many bones in the body so many folks who eat them just cook fish soup with it in a cloth fish-soup bag to prevent the bones from spreading out with the other soup content. Add some ginger and any fishy smell will be covered.

sbc hris

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 09:35:10 PM »

Aged white spring may be a contender for worst fish odour... But probably makes good soup  ::)

joshuag232

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 07:15:04 AM »

Speaking of Pikeminnow, landed one yesterday morning. They're in folks, go get 'em while they're here!!!