Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Right combination for salmon steelhead floating in Vedder ?  (Read 6988 times)

Alexi

Right combination for salmon steelhead floating in Vedder ?
« on: April 24, 2016, 09:53:03 AM »

I am planning to get a lighter bait casting setup, I am currently using Diwa Luna 300 + Fenwick HMX 10'6" 10-20 ib for everything, it can handle big fish such as chum and spring well. Now I want to have something with a smaller profile for coho, pink, steelhead etc, but meanwhile won't break when having a chum, spring or a big stealhead on. I am thinking a Shimano Curado 200-I reel + a Fenwick HMX 9' 8-15 ib baitcasting rod setup, is this a good combination for salmon/steelhead fishing in Vedder, Squamish and beach fishing ? any advice will be appreciated.
thanks
Alexi

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Right combination for salmon steelhead floating in Vedder ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 01:31:02 PM »

My 2 cents...

The Currados are awesome reels. I have the 301E. I have heard the cheaper Currado reels made in Malaysia or wherever in SE Asia are junky. I would pay extra for one made in Japan. The Calcutta 200B is also a nice small reel suitable for pinks, coho, etc.

As for rods IMO a 9" rod is too short. You will struggle to keep your line off the water if you are float fishing. I have a light 9" bait casting rod that I occasionally take to the river but I only bring it if I know I will be making short casts. It's all personal preference but if you thinking of buying a 9" rod for this type of fishing, especially an expensive rod, I would borrow/try one before you purchase.

I think you are on the right track with 8-15lb line rating. Something like that will be nice and light but not grossly underpowered for chum and so on.

Personally my favorite setup to fish is my Sage 2106 (8-15 line rating I think) which is a 10"6 rod, and I pair it up with my Currado 301E. This is an expensive rod thought so if you are thinking of buying one I would do what I did and wait for a nice used one to come up. If Sage is not what you're looking for then Shimano, Fenwick or whatever is fine. Go to a tackle shop where you trust the staff and take their advice. Don't cheap out to save $10 and order off amazon or whatever. 

Alexi

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »

Hi, Spawn Sack, thanks for the advice. Your setup is really nice, it is similar to my current setup (10‘6“ rod + Diwa luna 300 reel) but nicer, I want to downgrade the profile for the new setup. Just want to make sure this would be a good combination for my purpose.
Alexi

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:18:45 PM »

No worries. Shimano Clairus has some nice rods too that might suit what you are looking for.
I have a 9 foot I think it is, bait casting that rod that I bought for tossing spoons, but I found myself using it instead for float fishing with the Calcutta 200B for pinks and so on. It's a super light awesome rod!! However it is too short if you need to cast any distance. Not that I can't cast far enough, but if you are float fishing it's really hard to keep your mainline off the water unless you are casting close to shore.

I would say find a nice light rod likely in 10"6 and pair it with a nice light quality reel. A lot of fun!! For mainline I would run 15lb Berkley prospec. It's about the diameter of 12lb maxima UG but you have a bit more breaking strength. 8 or 10lb leader and you will have a hoot with smaller salmon and if you get a spring or chum on a true test of your fish fighting abilities!!

Also I would say don't try to fish this set up in faster water, you are just going to be outgunned and be breaking fish off. Find some nice slower water in the lower river, float some bait or jigs or whatever. If I'm going upriver I leave the sage and currado at home and bring a beefier rod/reel combo.

kalex60

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:40:36 AM »

Shimano clarus come in a 10' 10-15 or 17 I can remember but that is a great rod it light and great bang for the but if you are looking for something high end i would look into the Gloomis Imx or new E6X rods For reels curado 300E is a Great reel for the money and its super durable

Drewhill

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »

The Shimano Clarus CP rods are horrible so if the trigger rods are anything like that then I'd say stay away. They are way too stiff in the lower part of the rod so you don't get a good fight and way too soft in the top section making hook sets quite tough. Also the material is pretty weak.

fisherforever

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 10:27:21 AM »

The Shimano Clarus CP rods are horrible so if the trigger rods are anything like that then I'd say stay away. They are way too stiff in the lower part of the rod so you don't get a good fight and way too soft in the top section making hook sets quite tough. Also the material is pretty weak.
This, have had quite a few in for warranty with broken tips.

Alexi

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »

Thanks for all the advices. I have ended up buying the Currado 200I + Fenwick HMX 9" 8-15ib from Cabelas Canada. I will see how it works for my purpose.
Alexi

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 12:30:37 PM »

You bought a 9" rod ? ;D ;D

Alexi

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 01:08:40 PM »

Why, no good ? even for coho or pink in Vedder ?

Humpy

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 01:13:50 PM »

lol he's just messing with you.
" = inches
' = feet
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »

Why, no good ? even for coho or pink in Vedder ?

While most people would opt for a slightly longer rod for float fishing, you’ll be fine. It'll be a fine jig twitching rod as well.

One of my favorite rigs for pinks and cohos is a GLoomis 6-12lb rod paired with a low-profile ultra-light Abu Garcia Revo MGX reel. You wouldn’t think a couple ounces here or there would matter much but the difference is absolutely amazing. It feels like a feather compared to most set ups and you’ll feel less fatigue after slinging it around all day.

Handles fish up to 12-15lbs like a champ. Starts to lack sufficient backbone once you get into springs and biggest chums or fishing very heavy water.

Congrats on your purchase. I think you made a wise decision wanting to match the right tool for the job. I will warn you though, before you know it, you’ll end up with 6 different rod/reel combos without even realizing it…

losos

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »

lol he's just messing with you.
" = inches
' = feet
Mixing two different rods perhaps?

Alexi

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »

9 inch rod  :D, yeah, that's what I need, just put it in the pocket, and go fishing !
Thanks, DanL for the confirmation. I am afraid you were right, I have just renevated my garage, mostly for my fishing stuff, and I am just beginner...
Alexi

colin6101

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 12:01:10 AM »

I have a 9'6" rod rated for 8-15 pound test too and I love it. Great in the slower water for coho and pinks. Have landed a few monster chum and springs on it in the lower canal area of the vedder too. I just don't bring it out if there is a lot of current to fight as well.