Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what is the earliest you have caught cohos in the capilano river?  (Read 23073 times)

Silver

Re: what is the earliest you have caught cohos in the capilano river?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 07:16:38 PM »

For those who need or care to know...
My prediction...
Tomorrow could be epic at the Cap...probably going to be the only good day this spring.
Epic meaning 2 fish.
First light for 4 hours.
3/8 to 1/2 spinners and spoons...if you loose a few your doing it right.
10 lb fluorocarbon leader.
Leave roe at home.
Fish anywhere except Cable Pool.
Fencepost, cast and repeat.
Was going to but just realized that I am not motivated enough.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 09:06:48 PM »

For those who need or care to know...
My prediction...
Tomorrow could be epic at the Cap...probably going to be the only good day this spring.
I predict it will be a disappointing day tomorrow, based on last years returns.  I'll still go on the weekend, but I'm not missing work for it.

Silver

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »

I predict it will be a disappointing day tomorrow, based on last years returns.  I'll still go on the weekend, but I'm not missing work for it.

Where did you get the return numbers? Never really looked for them before.

However bleak they may be...tomorrow's potential is not just a whim. Even if the run is late or small there is no denying that dozens or even a hundred or more fish are eagerly waiting for a run...I have seen a few bright fish every time I've visited the hatchery in the past couple of weeks.

This is also the historical peak starting point for the runs return...theoretically the mouth could even be swarming with fish. Now, the weirs could prevent most from making their journey...but wait!

Have you seen the river level?

Forget the useless kayak cam. This real time chart tells me that the river is currently prime at 1.2 - 1.5 feet...at least at the spots I like to go to. I presume that the other pools would be equally fishable at this level. Any higher there is too much flow, and you can't get your lure to sink enough without adding weight. Also, each segment of the chart is 4 hours, so the height will maintain until daybreak and for several hours afterward...unless the dam is released (little chance of that) the river will be a perfect height.

Now, couple this with a high tide at 5ish...well now you've got fish moving into a perfectly flowing river at first light...how can you fail? A river that you can cast to the other side, directly intercepting fish that you know are coming up...just get something shiny in the water and it's a sure thing. Personally, I don't think that first light is a necessity, but hey...why not have all the odds in your favour.

Also, my reasoning for not using bait is also due to the limited possible fish present. Bait casting is too slow...with lures you can keep an active trigger in front of the travel lane more of the time. With a higher collection of fish present you can use bait...but the Cap fish mostly zoom up river in 2 hours or less.

Tomorrow is a rare perfect storm.

However, don't give up on the weekend...you can always try the random odds too.

P.S.

This is the best tide chart...tideforecast.com

Easiest to read and visualize...It has a real time dot that moves with the tide (not shown)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:10:50 PM by Silver »

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 11:08:52 PM »

I think I should go out and kill the only 4 fish swimming up the river and then this bickering can end.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Silver

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »

I think I should go out and kill the only 4 fish swimming up the river and then this bickering can end.

LOL...you can also C&R and give us all a go...

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »

I don't know about tomorrow, but it is a disappointment for everyone fishing at Cable Pool and the rapids below today. I went there after work after seeing the Cap level shot up. But not a fish on the shore or rock. I was fishing houserock rapids and had some very nice pocket water. Didn't see or touch any fish fishing from 6 to 8. Then went down to the care home run as the Cap camera was at 3' and possibly some fish could come up even at low tide. But nobody there and nothing, no fish rolling at all. This is prime time for early coho and so far not very good. Saw about 3 or 4 fish at the hatchery fish ladder. Normally those ladders would have been filled with fish with this level of water. Well, just hope your prediction will turn out right. If the fish are not hitting up the river at tonight's high tide, then there isn't many fish around the river mouth.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:15:47 PM by Steelhawk »

John Revolver

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 11:25:29 PM »

My work hours allow me to hit the cap every day untill 11:30ish am.  Ive been out 4 times in the last couple of weeks.

I have only seen 1 fish caught and a gauntlet of rods.

It has been beyond slow.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 11:29:58 PM »

LOL...you can also C&R and give us all a go...

It's a put and take fishery, those fish are meant to be killed, sorry no C&R on my part for them! Besides those little morsels are too tasty to let any go!
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 07:50:15 AM »

So has anymore caught any coho at ambleside   recently ? ?how big?? Someone   explain in detail   when is best time to fish at ambleside   park in relation   to high or low tide? I don't understand  and you need saltwater license   right ? At mouth   of ambleside   park?

Rod has a few articles on this site which explains it pretty well.  Also search for the word "Cap" or Capilano in the forums to see what it has been like in previous years.  I have to agree that Cap coho is very tasty. May be it's because it's so close to the ocean and didn't waste any energy traveling up the Fraser.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »

Below the train bridge is considered TIDAL.
Hence, a TIDAL licence.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »

I wonder if any one has experience to know how fast the fish can travel up the river at this kind of water level (2-3' at Cap Camera)? Assuming the bulk of fish is coming up from last night high tide, do you think they can make up to the hatchery in 1 day? I have never explored mid river pools and runs below Dog Leg. Usually lower river from H1 bridge and down or upper river. I will fish the river tomorrow. May be worth to explore mid river pools if they don't travel that fast.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:17:50 PM by Steelhawk »

Silver

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »

I was curious to see if my prediction would be accurate, and also because I decided to not get out on the the river today...perhaps if there was some activity in the ladder I wouldn't get discouraged the next time. I needed to meet a client in ambleside after work, so I thought I should go check it out while I was in the area.

I'll admit that I had a doubt or two due to the skepticism voiced, and my own observations of fewer fishermen than in previous years...but here's what I found in the hatchery windows...

All of the windows were teaming with fish...even the right side windows that usually have smolts and juveniles.
They were all bright between 3-5 lbs, and even a few larger ones...they were jumping up the ladders in a constant influx.
I estimate between 80-100 fish were in the windows at that moment...the most that I have ever seen there since I started 3 seasons ago.

Surprisingly there were only 5-6 novice anglers in the cable pool.

Go figure?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:58:27 PM by Silver »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2016, 10:49:40 PM »

That's cause you told us all to skip the cable pool!

I hooked into three, landed two this afternoon. Made my day, I've fished that River so many times this year without a hit.

I was there from first light til ten without so much as a nibble, watching two guys across the run limit out...

Silver

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »

That's cause you told us all to skip the cable pool!

I hooked into three, landed two this afternoon. Made my day, I've fished that River so many times this year without a hit.

I was there from first light til ten without so much as a nibble, watching two guys across the run limit out...

WTF! That is awsome...I've listened to your many empty handed past experiences, and can only imagine the feeling you had from your diligence finally paying off.

The delayed action could be that you got dialled in just right when it started working for you...the Cap is an unusual river that you can feel when things are just right.
Remember that Mojo and utilize it next time...sometimes it's just not there.

Another bit of superstition is when the Heron hangs around things are looking good.

I've yet to land two in one outing...bravo!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:40:26 PM by Silver »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2016, 11:51:35 PM »

Thanks man!

I was pretty damn thrilled, that's for sure. And oh man, dinner was a treat!