Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what is the earliest you have caught cohos in the capilano river?  (Read 23065 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Re: what is the earliest you have caught cohos in the capilano river?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »

I think the run might be a little bit late but there are still some fish going up. I find they are really booting up the river fast. Most schools stick in pools for no more then 10 minutes a time. I observed a school that sat in the tailout of the cable pool for 2 minutes before heading up. I have already landed a couple fish while intercepting these schools.

dobrolub

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 08:03:08 PM »

Low tide, Capilano weirs vid, today, around 3:00 PM. Water level at Cap at about 1ft.

https://youtu.be/tk9073IpFSE
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:04:43 PM by dobrolub »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 12:51:45 PM »

What are we meant to observe here?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 02:21:57 PM »

Rock weirs.
That is not a natural rock formation.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 03:40:59 PM »

That much I know. But, are we supposed to be seeing fish in there? Is it a commentary on the water level? Explanation for the lack of fish? I just don't know what exactly the video is trying to show...

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 04:31:48 PM »

Just an update on the water levels perhaps? or maybe to prove that salmon can make it past the weirs?

dobrolub

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 05:02:33 PM »

That vid should be an explanation for why only a few fish will make it up river, when the fish do show up.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 05:43:40 PM »

What about in high tide ?

fishaddict

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 05:57:55 PM »

Those small rock walls have zero effect as soon as the river blows out or even is at like 4 feet so stop complaining. This is not the reason for a low fish count, Blame someone else!!!

dobrolub

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2016, 06:06:09 PM »

4 feet is extremely rare event in the summer. Even 2 feet is pretty rare. Last summer it was almost always below 1ft. Things are a little better this summer, but not by much. You will need to wait for the blow out till Sept or Oct. This thread is about summer cap coho.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2016, 06:21:41 PM »

Considering how high and fast some of the runs get even at two feet, which the fish are able swim up and through as a matter of course, those weird really don't look like much of a hurdle. But I ain't no expert...

dobrolub

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2016, 06:45:05 PM »

Probably not a big deal if there is no one with a net. Check video on the first page of the topic.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »

i agree. Once you add a whole bunch of guys with nets chasing the fish, the fish had no chance to find any gaps to go through. They ended up dashing around frantically behind the weirs only to be scooped up as seen from the notorious video. I hope some fish can go through when the tide is 14' or above. It is hard to tell as the highest tides are mostly around mid-night. But if they also set up weirs under the Marine Drive bridge (I have seen these in the past), then not even 16' tide can allow the fish to get past the weirs.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:47:39 PM by Steelhawk »

bobby b

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »

Was there yesterday and saw quite a few coho booking it upriver. They sure move quickly through the river.

Saw a school of at least 20-30 fish swim past me at the highway 1 bridge area.... they did not stick around long at all.

Cable Pool had a good number of fish in there but did not see, or hear of, anyone getting any. Saw lots and lots of roe getting cast in from every rock ledge just to be ignored by all the fish in there.

Was at the bottom of Cable Pool and saw at least a dozen fish zoom through the tailout and right into the pool.  The ones I saw were all a decent size. they looked strong, fast and really skittish. In the clear low water their backs really do look blue!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 07:17:32 AM »

Was there yesterday and saw quite a few coho booking it upriver. They sure move quickly through the river.

Saw a school of at least 20-30 fish swim past me at the highway 1 bridge area.... they did not stick around long at all.

Cable Pool had a good number of fish in there but did not see, or hear of, anyone getting any. Saw lots and lots of roe getting cast in from every rock ledge just to be ignored by all the fish in there.

Was at the bottom of Cable Pool and saw at least a dozen fish zoom through the tailout and right into the pool.  The ones I saw were all a decent size. they looked strong, fast and really skittish. In the clear low water their backs really do look blue!

I was there in the morning in a different pool and saw nothing except smolts following my spoon.