Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kicker Recommendations?  (Read 10420 times)

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Kicker Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »

Tohatsu and mercury in those sizes are the same engine, also the difference between 4hp 5hp and 6hp is carb. size. And price that's it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »

Quick question for anyone who might know about this...

So generally when buying the correct shaft length you go buy the height of the transom. For example a 15" transom = short shaft.

On our boat it's 25ish inches from where the kicker would mount to the lowest point on the hull. However it's 2-3 inches less at the point where the kicker prop would be due to the angle of the hull at the stern.

The other day I measured where the WATER LINE is on the hull with the boat just floating near whore and no one in it. From the waterline to where the kicker would mount is 20 inches.

So, if I were to get a long shaft, the cavitation plate would just sit in the water, but would be 5 inches or so above the lowest point on the hull.

I asked about this at boat store the otherday and the guy gave me a 1/2 confident response, which was basically "should be fine" with a L if the cavitation plate is in the water, however it may cavitate a bit in wavy water.

I'm thinking....okay...if it's getting quite wavy out I'm probably going to call it a day for lake trolling and zoom back on the main motor. So, under conditions where I am likely to fish an L shaft should be fine.

Yes I could just buy an XL shaft and be safe but your options are more limited in the hp range I'm looking at, and I've heard they are tougher to sell if you decide to part ways with it down the road.

santefe

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »

I believe that your cavitation plate should be at least level with the bottom of your hull.
Try a different sales person.

Tenz85

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 12:05:51 AM »

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OB_shaft_length.htm

Have a look at this page. General idea should still apply to kickers.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »

Well, pretty much decide I'm going to go with the 6hp Tohatsu Sail Pro.

http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/6_4st.html

It's the only 6hp 25 inch shaft out there I believe. In Merc you can get it in a 5hp. Nothing in Yamaha.

If price and weight were not factors I'd probably go with the Yamaha 9.9 HT. I just don't like the extra 40ish lbs right on the transom, and that much more weight for me to lift off/on. Boat sits in our driveway and I'm not going to leave it on with some dinky outboard lock so some crack head can swipe it. Don't want it permanently bolted to the transom as from time to time I'd like to go fishing without the kicker off. For example just fishing the Vedder canal for salmon I'd probably chance it and leave the kicker at home. One less thing in the way on the stern for netting fish. However most of the time I'll probably have it on the boat.

I like that the Sail Pro model has a high thrust prop. I know this will still not likely push my boat against the current in the Fraser, but if my main motor was disabled I'd be mostly concerned with just getting to shore, which I have been told by a few shops the 6hp HT Tohatsu should be able to accomplish.

Ive also decided to go with the 25" shaft. Seems the consensus is the 20" would be fine as just a river back up. However used for trolling the 20"shaft would likely cavitate in waves as the cavitation plate will be sitting right at the water line.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone who can loan me a 6hp motor like this to test out. I'll just have to trust the advice of the guys who sells these motors and if I really am not happy with it sell and and go 8 or 9.9 next time around. From what I have read and been told I feel I will be happy with the 6hp Tohatsu high thrust.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:22:17 PM by Spawn Sack »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »

Think a 6 hp 4 stroke would be a good power range.
Member mentioned to buy new. Good idea.
Also do not be afraid to run a kicker off a small portable tank.
4 stroke of course you do not have to mix any oil into fuel.
It will barely zip fuel. Smallest portables take so little room in a boat.
Our once owned 4 hp Yamaha 4 stroke had a very small portable tank.
We used it a lot & after getting back to the launch when I picked up the tank it was still so heavy!!!
Amazed me every time how little gas it used in a day out on the water.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »

this thread has been helpful. just picked up a new to me 2010 custom weld. was in the market for a kicker and ordered a 8 horse tohatsu 20" shaft with electric start and charging from www.onlineoutboards.ca/ . thanks for the info.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 07:20:01 PM »

Here an odd one for anyone who would care to comment:

So I go to Holiday Marine in Chilliwack today, they are an authorised Tohatsu dealer. Talking to the owner about the 6hp sailpro. He says he does not have one in, but can get it no problem.

He had a 20" shaft 6hp there and pointed out that the measurement from A to B is actually 23." I didn't believe him so he showed me and sure enough it was 23"

What the heck? Now I'm questioning if I should get a 25" shaft. A 20" would put the cavitation plate right at the waterline which is not quite submerged enough for my liking. But another 3 inches would probably be fine.

Confused... :o

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 09:16:47 PM »

Forget about waterline! the cavitation plate needs to be at least 1" (2" is best) bellow the bottom of the hull where it mounts. It will help with traction, sucking air will drive you nuts.

Buy the motor that fits your boat, don't try to make somthing work that doesn't fit.

I've got 3 boats and 3 different kickers lol
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:28:37 PM by canso »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 11:43:19 PM »

Haha alright alright! :o Went into Maple Marine today. Was impressed! Guy took the time to go over the dimensions of my stern with me, ask me what I intend to use the motor for, what I expect out of it, budget, and so on. He concluded that I should get the 6hp Sail Pro (Tohatsu). He said the 25" shaft will be best on my boat as the prop will be clear of the hull and will work as efficiently as possible. He agreed with what others said in that I could "get by" with a 20" shaft especially if the water is calm. But it would suck air and drive me nuts in wavy water.
If I am going to buy a new motor I might as well go 25" shaft. I also like that this motor has the high trust prop 8)
When I have the $ I plan to go back to Maple Marine and buy this motor.