Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Commando Heads Opst/ Lazar line  (Read 10628 times)

Stantonius

Commando Heads Opst/ Lazar line
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:35:52 AM »

Hi guys, I'm thinking of rebuilding my 4wt switch line and head setup. Currently I'm running an integrated line with a skagit head system. I'm planning to try the OPST lazar line loop to loop and their Commando Head. Has anyone tried their heads and/or line? Maybe a running line is a Running line and a head is a head, but just wondering if anyone has used their newer lazar lines and C. heads and if there is anything that makes them stand out etc...

I forgot to include that I also have a Scandi head that I'm hoping to use this summer, but cannot with the current integrated line system.. That's what is really pushing the change to a loop to loop system.

Thanks!

ByteMe

Re: Commando Heads Opst/ Lazar line
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:08:26 AM »

am using the Lazer line on my switch rod with an AFS scandi line, the Lazer line has no memory , cast like a cannon because of the thin diameter, easy to keep off the water at distance, down side is harder to hold because of the slickness and thin diameter and it WILL cut  if you are used to holding a loop of line in your hand
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

tburns

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »

I have that setup on my 8 weight single hander and find it pretty sweet.  No problem hucking heavy flies 50-60 feet or so and I've only been out with it for a full day once.  I find that it really excels in comparison to a spey setup in close and obviously beats single handers where there is limited back casting space (which seems like everywhere).   I haven't casted many rods though so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

RG

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »

I just got the commando head and lazar line for my 4wt switch.  Pretty happy with it so far, don't have anything to compare it to on that rod though.  It's pretty versatile I must say, it bombs casts whether you're single handing, spey, roll, single spey, wrist flicking, flopping...whatever you do, it flies.  I'm still getting used to the lazar line, lost lots of fish already with it slipping between my fingers on hook sets, got to pinch it right.

Stantonius

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:46:10 PM »

Ok, thanks for the feedback on the line and head guys. I think I'll go with the C. head for sure, but maybe have a better look over the lazar line (touch it etc..) I like the idea of a fast line with least amount of friction, but I don't want to miss hits or even get cuts from it... Yikes! Thanks again for the input. I'll update what I end up going with and offer a comparison to the previous integrated set up, if anyone is interested that is :)

Cheers!

SPEYMAN

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:42:17 PM »

Can you cut and loop your present line and then use loops with other heads?

Stantonius

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 10:04:07 PM »

Yes, I did think of doing that and it would save costs for sure, but I like the idea of keeping the line intact for future applications.. You can never have too many lines, reels and rods

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »

Yes, I did think of doing that and it would save costs for sure, but I like the idea of keeping the line intact for future applications.. You can never have too many lines, reels and rods
Personally (and this might be just me, but I dont think it is just me) an integrated skagit running line set up is exceedingly limiting.  The advantage of having them separate is the ability to switch out the heads as you choose,say go with a scandi one minute and a quick change to a skagit the next. You can also carry a back up reel and not have to worry about switching a full line over if a failure occurs

Stantonius

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 07:31:23 AM »

Absolutely clarkii and thanks for your input. As I said in my first post my intention is to run a loop to loop system because I already have a Scandi head ready to go. The current integrated line came with the reel. I started the topic because I was curious about the Opst lines and heads because there's quite a buzz about them in the fly fishing community right now. It was never a question of what I can put a loop in or which system is better loop to loop or integrated... I was just interested in the Opst lines and heads and by changing the current setup I could eventually use my Scandi head via loop to loop.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 05:24:07 PM »

Absolutely clarkii and thanks for your input. As I said in my first post my intention is to run a loop to loop system because I already have a Scandi head ready to go. The current integrated line came with the reel. I started the topic because I was curious about the Opst lines and heads because there's quite a buzz about them in the fly fishing community right now. It was never a question of what I can put a loop in or which system is better loop to loop or integrated... I was just interested in the Opst lines and heads and by changing the current setup I could eventually use my Scandi head via loop to loop.
Ok I gotcha.  You understand the advantages of loop to loop but want to keep the integrated line just in case.

Smart plan, though be careful as its easy to go "might as well keep this" and end up with 4 or 5 lines you dont use lying around! (or more)

ByteMe

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 08:15:11 PM »

if you want a mono running line, just get the all time favorite, a spool of 40lb Berkley Big Game in hi-viz green, $8.00 for a 250yds spool, I have been using it for years, just remember to give it a little stretch before casting, good for the day, a double surgeon's knot on both ends and you have a loop to loop connection. The OPST Lazer line was given to me by a friend to try, or I'd still be using the Big Game, but no way is the Lazer line worth $40 for 150ft
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 04:54:36 PM »

I just got the commando head and lazar line for my 4wt switch.  Pretty happy with it so far, don't have anything to compare it to on that rod though.  It's pretty versatile I must say, it bombs casts whether you're single handing, spey, roll, single spey, wrist flicking, flopping...whatever you do, it flies.  I'm still getting used to the lazar line, lost lots of fish already with it slipping between my fingers on hook sets, got to pinch it right.

Anyone having this issue with a mono type running line there is a way to remedy it besides "just pinch harder"

wrap a little bit of plumbers tape around your rod handle where you would pinch the line, It will not leave any residue behind and will give you plenty of stick between your finger and grip.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RG

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 10:47:08 PM »

Yeah I heard about that trick, I will certainly give it a shot.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 08:04:55 AM »

plumber's tape = teflon tape? The stuff used to seal threaded pipe & hose connections?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Stantonius

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 07:45:53 PM »

A quick follow up on the lines. I ended up going with the OPST lazar line with commando head for my 4wt switch. It casts fantastically! Single hand, double hand, under or over... Whatever, it sails! The running line is pretty slick, but workable and absolutely no coils which is great. In comparison to the previous integrated skagit setup, the new system kills it in every regard. I'm going to bring out my single hand 6wt to try some skagit casts with it next.

Thanks for all the input and tips fellow flymen... Enjoy the spring fishin!