Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DeBoville Slough/Lower Pitt River- 18 March 2016  (Read 12462 times)

TimL

DeBoville Slough/Lower Pitt River- 18 March 2016
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:05:21 PM »

Spent some time hunting for cutts and dollies along the slough earlier this afternoon. Armed with a spinning rod, I first went to the mouth of the slough and then explored and fished several spots along the adjoining Lower Pitt River. Managed to hook and land (and release) a 15-16 inch cuttie on a gibbs croc spoon at the slough mouth and had a couple of missed hits from a second cutthroat and an unidentified fish (a bass?) at another location along the Lower Pitt. At the latter spot, I was casting my lure along/close to some pylons and rocks in a shallow bay and was surprised to see the fish chasing the lure so close to shore.

Overall it was a beautiful day to be out, despite it being windy, especially with the fish finally showing themselves (I was skunked on my previous 2 outings at this location earlier this year). Cuttie fishing should be picking up pretty soon with the salmon fry on their way downstream.  :)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: DeBoville Slough/Lower Pitt River- 18 March 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 09:01:11 PM »

Nice fish TimL :D
Guess you know what's coming though ... best to keep the fish you release  in the water.   Photos of what appears to be a wild cutthroat, high and dry on gravel, are considered in very poor taste.
Expect flamation.

TimL

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:50:09 PM »

Nice fish TimL :D
Guess you know what's coming though ... best to keep the fish you release  in the water.   Photos of what appears to be a wild cutthroat, high and dry on gravel, are considered in very poor taste.
Expect flamation.
It was right at the water's edge when the photo was taken but yes I should have had my net close to me at hand (it was some distance away with my backpack)..my mistake (sorry!)- I sometimes get carried away.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:21:27 AM »

I hear that often. "It was right at the waters edge." Just so we're clear, it's not so much that the fish is out of water, (which is also important) it's the damage and stress to the fish from being dragged up or placed on rocks / sand that I think Dave was getting at.

Anyways, lesson learned nice fish by the way tis the season for cutties.

joshuag232

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 01:21:44 PM »

Nice cutthroat.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 05:06:07 PM »

Nice cutthroat, never tried fishing the mouth of Debouville. Can you (are you allowed) fish the slough itself?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 05:38:31 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=37286.msg357088#msg357088

Dude, back in May I courteously admonished you to keep the cutthroat in the water.  Now 10 mos later I am feeling less courteous.

Do the fish a favour, use your memory, not a camera, and release wild fish in the water.

Thus endeth the flamation.

TimL

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 10:08:07 AM »

Nice cutthroat, never tried fishing the mouth of Debouville. Can you (are you allowed) fish the slough itself?
Yes you can. The slough hasn't been productive for me so far- it's only been my first season fishing at this location so maybe that will change later on with seasonal changes coming up. I didn't see any risers in the slough until I reached the mouth. You have any success there?

The first 2 trips earlier in the year were on the south side, this trip on the north side-  more access points it seems and easier access to the mouth. Some nice spots to fish at the mouth and along the shoreline of the lower Pitt. The deep ditch on the left side of the dyke (facing the berry farms) also looks promising- lots of lily pads and cover..maybe good for bass (a species I have yet to target)? Unfortunately not as many access points..unless you want to get pricked/impaled by the brambles.  :-X
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:09:56 AM by TimL »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »

to add - reporting on locations like  Deboville is also not acceptable form for many. The last thing small waters like this is to attract a hoard of a casual anglers. Best to  make your report non-specific - a LMR or GVRD flow or whatever or just keep to yourself . We are all only heroes in our own minds in any event. Cheers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 04:55:43 PM »

to add - reporting on locations like  Deboville is also not acceptable form for many. The last thing small waters like this is to attract a hoard of a casual anglers. Best to  make your report non-specific - a LMR or GVRD flow or whatever or just keep to yourself . We are all only heroes in our own minds in any event. Cheers.

To be fair it's not like this isn't a well known area...

You have any success there?

When i was a kid i caught a couple tiny trout there (7-8 inches), but nothing to write home about.

Burbot

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »

Get real.  I love these holy than though posts.  Lots of people fish there and at mouth of Pitt. It is no secret place. Gawd....

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 06:28:05 PM »

Real cutthroat hunters don't reveal their spots. ;)
How's that for holes  :o ::)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 07:59:39 PM »

Real cutthroat hunters don't reveal their spots. ;)
How's that for holes  :o ::)

Cutthroat...spots....HA!
Not all those who wander are lost

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 09:35:44 PM »

nothing like stirring ripples in the ... ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TimL

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 11:52:52 PM »

nothing like stirring ripples in the ... ;D
spot?  ;)