Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon sashimi anyone?  (Read 4260 times)

Tenz85

Salmon sashimi anyone?
« on: March 13, 2016, 07:37:32 PM »

http://globalnews.ca/news/2468376/worms-in-homemade-salmon-sushi-blamed-for-canadian-mans-infection/

Was thinking about trying some homemade sashimi with a fillet of red spring that has been sitting in the freezer for a couple months. I should be okay, right?

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Salmon sashimi anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:02:03 PM »

After a couple months in the freezer I certainly wouldn't worry about worm - I would wonder about fresh taste. Try it. If it doesn't taste fresh enough for sashimi you can always cook it.

Old Blue

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »

I don't think I'd ever eat raw fish from a grocery store  :'(
Last night I did up some great winter spring avocado rolls.  Caught Friday, bled properly, cleaned and patted dry then in the freezer on a rack for 30-45 mins to firm up then vacuum packed and frozen till yesterday afternoon....mmmmmm so good.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:03:29 AM »

The suggested guidelines: If you want to make sushi at home they recommend you freeze the fish for seven days at ‒20 degrees Celsius before you prepare the salmon or at a colder temperature for a shorter period of time. err  on the side of caution, just like any food handling guidelines (i.e. FoodSafe). I mean, how many times have leftovers from dinner sat on the counter until bedtime, you put it in the fridge, and nuke it for lunch the next day with no ill effects.

However, there is an element of risk with not following the recommended guidelines. You have to weigh the risks against your own risk tolerance, however it looks like Old Blue rolled the dice and will live to tempt fate once again!

Tenz85

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 02:04:05 PM »

I recall -20 for a week or -35 overnight and I've also heard there is less risk in the salt chuck.. I guess there's also the factor of experience with being able to identify flesh containing the parasitic worms.. Still makes me worry though..

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »

I've also heard there is less risk in the salt chuck..

Not so, according to this...Larval anisakids are common parasites of marine and anadromous fish (e.g. salmon, sardine), and can also be found in squid and cuttlefish. In contrast, they are absent from fish in waters of low salinity, due to the physiological requirements of euphausiids, which are needed to complete their life cycle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis

Old Blue

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 08:11:56 AM »

What I've read and been told by chefs is -18 for 7 days and -28 for 3.
My freezer is -24 to -26. 
Would I ever do this with a river fish, nope.  A fish with a sore, nope.  A summer fish when I know there's an algae bloom, nope.
3 days (74 hours) in my freezer with a 64 cm pristine winter spring......hell ya.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 01:29:08 PM »

Would I ever do this with a river fish, nope.  A fish with a sore, nope.  A summer fish when I know there's an algae bloom, nope.
3 days (74 hours) in my freezer with a 64 cm pristine winter spring......hell ya.
As said above, if you're eating anything you are eating worms. Dead worms are yummy. Live worms can be fatal.

StillAqua

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 07:37:01 PM »

That's a good freezer if it's Celsius. If it's Fahrenheit, it's amazing. Most people don't monitor their freezer temperatures and many aren't cold enough to kill off Ani and other parasites within a few weeks.

Read a study comparing wild and farmed salmon in Washington State. Something like up to 85% of the wild fish had significant parasite loads while less than 1% of the farmed had parasites. They attribute it to diet differences where the salmon pick up the parasites from. I've often used farmed coho or steelhead for sashimi or sushi with good results when I didn't have the time to properly freeze the fish or couldn't get good frozen wild product.