Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Camping Lakes  (Read 13413 times)

tburns

Best Camping Lakes
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:57:47 AM »

Hey All,

A group of friends and I are planning a camping trip for the may long weekend (may 20 - 23).  I am trying to sneak in a suggestion for a lake that has great fishing opportunities in addition to swimming, hiking, beautiful views, etc.  We're not bringing a power boat or anything like that, but it has to appeal to the rest of them (only 2 of 10 of us fish).  As far as the fishing, I've got a float tube and flippers that I would be using.

Could you suggest some lakes?  The two that I have found through research so far are Paul Lake and Roche Lake.  Any other gems with nice swimming would be appreciated.

Tight lines!

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Best Camping Lakes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »

I like swimming, but the leaches in those lakes scare me. Lol
Both those lake have my vote for fishing, but not swimming.

Danny Coombs

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:46:05 AM »

Lundbom

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »

Never been in a belly boat in Roche  or Paul, but if they have leaches like Frisken and Ernest do, well I sure wouldn't be spending much time swimming there. Of course the leaches don't hurt... Until it's time to come off.

tburns

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »

Has anyone been to the BC side of Ross lake?

And the leech issue scares me...  I think i'd be a single man if my girlfriend got leeched based on my recommendation...  Can anyone confirm/deny the issue at Paul lake?

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »

I know leeches are in Paul Lake, and also snails.

From what I tend to see fishing lakes and swimming lakes tend to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.  You might have better luck camping at a swimming lake (say shuswap) and taking trips seeking away to local area lakes with the tube.

Keep in mind whatever lake you choose needs to be warm enough to swim in! Shuswap will likely be frigid at that time of year.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 05:34:33 PM »

Was just going to mention...that time of year for the May long...the waters are gonna be prettttttttty darn cool to swim in!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 07:12:29 PM »

Has anyone been to the BC side of Ross lake?

Ross lake doesn't open to fishing until July 1st. May long weekend would see not much water on the Canadian side of the ressovoir. The Americans close the dam late June to allow the ressovoir to fill up so us Canucks can partake in the fisheries. It is a good lake for swimming and has a cordoned off area for that purpose.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 08:07:57 AM »

I've swum a number of trout lakes in the interior and never picked up a leech. Other people I knew who got the odd one on their skin had no discomfort or pain removing them. Leeches were commonly used as medical treatment before the advent of modern medicene. They pose no harm.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

tburns

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 06:33:56 PM »

I've swum a number of trout lakes in the interior and never picked up a leech. Other people I knew who got the odd one on their skin had no discomfort or pain removing them. Leeches were commonly used as medical treatment before the advent of modern medicene. They pose no harm.

Not worried about the leech tbh.  Worried about the leeched woman turned murderer who I would be sharing a tent with! 

Sounds like i might be SOL.  Any suggestions for a short commute between good fishable lake and warm swimming lake?  Thanks for all the help thus far

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 07:00:24 PM »

Camp at wood lake resort or Owls nest on Kalamalka lake, and drive up to Postill lake.  A short gravel road up one of the mountains near by.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:02:21 PM by canso »

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 07:02:24 PM »

Pavillion lake, Emerald lake (?) and Crown lakes are really nice, good fishing and swimming around the area.
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 08:18:21 AM »

most lakes at that time will have a surface temperature of 60F or 15C, or lower - I think she'll want to kill you once you tell her it's ok to jump right in.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Stantonius

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »

I've swam in Paul Lake since I can remember, having grown up in the Kamloops area. It will be cold but I wouldn't worry about the leeches. The water is very nice and the scenery is great. The fishing will be good that time of year with healthy hatches by the weed beds. The potential for a double digit monster is there... The lake had Gerrards introduced a number of years ago and they get big!  Good luck and make sure you pack the chironos, nymphs, and yes..the leeches  ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 08:46:56 AM »

2 lakes with pretty good fishing and good swimming areas are Lac Le Juene and Conkle which is east of Osoyoos. Conkle has both a park with camping and a beautiful man made sandy beach. It's up in the mountains and a longish drive on a loose surface road (gravel and or dirt) so it's quiet and away from any highway noise:

http://www.ourbc.com/discover_bc/provincial_parks/conkle_lake/conkle_lake.htm