Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Film group fined $5,950  (Read 2516 times)

clarkii

• Old Timer
Film group fined $5,950
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »

Not sure how many are familiar with Montana Wild, but they have some rather big fly fishing films like Bucknasty Browns.  However they have been fined and charged as outlined below

"A total of 38 State citations were issued for intentionally fishing for bull trout in closed waters; failing to immediately release bull trout; and failing to report a bull trout on the FWP Bull trout Catch Card. A total of 11 Federal violations were cited for unlawful commercial filming activity on USFS lands without valid permits. All three individuals entered into plea agreements with Powell County, which included Flathead County charges, and the Boughton’s forfeited a collateral for the USFS violations. Overall these three individual paid $5,950 in fines.
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/enforcement/nr_0275.html 
The group haso released a statement found here.
http://www.montana-wild.com/a-statement-from-montana-wild/#comments
Now what I find appalling is this group takes no responsibility for their actions, and is pleading ignorance.  I enjoyed a few of their films, but it appears they are inot film making for monetary gain at whatever cost to the resource, and not to be ambassadors for the sport. (They also do hunting vids)

Chris S

Re: Film group fined $5,950
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »

Reminds me of an Eastern Canadian program called "The Newfoundland Sportsman Show" (I think), would have been more accurately named "The Newfoundland Poaching Show" lol.    In the few episodes I watched: their idea of duck hunting was to run them down in high speed power boats and blast them as they tried to take off, another episode showed a group sneaking up on a bluff overhanging some ducks and blasting away at them as they swam below.
Their idea of bear hunting involved baiting them with piles of garbage and baiting deer with piles of apples... not to mention using truck spotlights and headlights in the dark to bag game.
The fishing (poaching) episodes were just as bad. Quickly lost interest, but wondered if any authorities ever watched and took action... 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:23:29 PM by Chris S »