Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The generousity of a complete stranger turned new (fisher) friend!!  (Read 8529 times)

wookie

For the past three years, I have taken clients/residents from a treatment center in New Westminster out fishing.  It is not only important for them to learn new hobbies and discover new passions to ensure a healthy recovery and life moving forward in their journey, but also it is important for me to give back to a place that literally saved my life.  Since I have been clean I quickly learned that I only keep the life I have by sharing it with others, I have done my best to share my passion for the outdoors, and namely the passion for fishing we all share here, with as many people as I can who would otherwise not have the opportunity to do so.  As a result, many lasting friendships have been made, and I believe that lives have been changed for the better.  Sick people got well, and those people who felt alone found something healthy they could share with another person.  I know there is more to recovery from addiction than fishing, but it certainly helped me on my journey to find a new and better way to live, and I believe that something like this can help others as well.

I was lucky enough to pair up with a former councilor and friend of mine at the Last Door Recovery Society (lastdoor.org) who is also an avid fisherman, and we were able to combine gear, knowledge, and our mutual passion for fishing to take "new guys" out and show them part of what a healthy lifestyle can look like.  To date I have taken out kids with zero knowledge of the outdoors to former sportsmen who lost their way, and even those whose lives used to revolve around the back alleys of the downtown east side.  Some stuck with it and continue to fish with me today, while others were simply grateful for the opportunity and experience…

Unfortunately, hooks get lost, old waders start to leak, rods snap and reels blow up.  Lately I have been looking to purchase reels, rods, gear, waders and the like to donate to the “fishing cause”, and get guys out on the water.  The search has been slow due mostly to financial constraints, as the fishing program is essentially funded by me and one other.  I recently posted in the “buy and sell” section looking for reels to purchase, and a certain Senior Member on FWR immediately reached out to inform me that he had some gear available.  I thought, “Great! Hopefully I can make a deal and buy a reel or two!”, but he stepped up and surpassed all expectations. 

People from FWR have previously offered logistical assistance (rides), like “Hook”, provided info on locations to take people, like “Flyfishin Magician” and other who have generally provided insight and help that I could not.  But this member went above and beyond and generously donated a couple new level-wind combos, a spinning rod/reel and even a sage fly-rod and reel combo.  I offered to pay what I could, but he refused.

To paraphrase, he thought it was a great idea to get guys recovering from dark days, sad and often terribly destructive lives out to try something new and to show them how fun certain aspects of life can be, and he felt these guys deserved some decent gear and not old worn out stuff.

Words cannot adequately describe how much this member of FWR has helped me ensure that those looking for new ways to live have the opportunity to experience a day on the water.  I hope he will join me and guys sometime soon and experience the satisfaction and gratitude I find from watching another person get hooked on fishing!

I guess it’s something akin to the old saying, “give a man a fish and he can eat for a day, but teach a man to fish…” Well, you get the idea…

Thank you Mike, I am truly grateful that you are willing to share your passion with others.  I hope that others out there have the opportunity to do the same :)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:33:38 AM by wookie »

Wool

Re: The generousity of a complete stranger turned new (fisher) friend!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 12:30:57 AM »

Most of the people on this forum have closets and drawers full of more then they can use. We buy rods and reels for hundreds of dollars and mostly don't think twice. This guy is doing something to help people and if your reading this, your probably doing ok in life. Pull something out and pass it on, it's a great cause and you'll feel a little pride you helped someone out. The fish Gods will reward you. Very proud of you Wookie for your work!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:55:43 AM by Wool »

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »

I have a Trophy bait caster rod that I can donate for the cause. Have not bait casted since converting to centerpin fishing. Email me - thomaslim@telus.net so I know how to drop it off to you.

It is nice to see someone paying it forward.

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:22:42 AM »

A nice, heartwarming story to start my Friday morning with.  Keep on doing what you're doing Wookie!!!

wookie

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »

Thank you very much guys, and again thank you Wool and CohoMan for being so generous!

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 01:21:10 PM »

I have collected a few rods and reels now for your cause.

Bingbamboom

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »

Tried to PM you but your box is full. I have been clean and sober for 20 yrs and would love to help.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 03:12:32 PM »

You know I'm always here to lend a hand whenever you need it. I may not have gear to share because I don't hoard much gear however I can help out in other ways. Keep up the good work and we'll hit the flow soon  ;D ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

KarateKick

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »

Gifts from the generous folks here helped my family survive a very dark period of our life.  My disabled kid was not coping well with his illness, and at the same time my husband got laid off.  Fishing was the one thing that made the boy feel alive, but we couldn't afford to buy anything.  The gifts we received brought my son a lot of joy, and having a happy child made a world of difference.

Wool

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »

Just a little note on the subject... I meet Wookie this morning and the people he is working with. I can assure the group that this is a true cause that will definitely assist with the healing of many, many people. I have a new view of addiction and what can come out from the efforts of just one person. People I certainly crossed the streets to avoid over my days, were greeting me, shacking my hand with a smile and hello. All of these people have succeeded and I would be honoured to know each of them. Looking at a bigger picture, I see this only benefiting our sport and fish in general. If a person can find the drive to overcome these hurdles, imagine what they'll do if they decide to champion our common fish issues.

This is a cause worth assisting. A pack of hooks is all it takes... Don't scroll by this without a thought.

wookie

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 10:43:10 PM »

I have collected a few rods and reels now for your cause.

Wow, thank you so much!!!!!

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 11:01:06 PM »

Tried to PM you but your box is full. I have been clean and sober for 20 yrs and would love to help.
Congratulations on 20 years Bingbamboom!  :)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Wool

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 09:17:23 AM »

Mitch, Canadian Tire is giving a pair of waders.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 09:27:24 AM »

Great post Mitch.  It's always great to see you on the water with your group.  It's even better when we can help you retrieve a "lost" centrepin reel spool!  LOL.  Anyway, keep up the great work!  You are making a difference!  Like Hook, you know I'll try and help you any way I can.

4x4

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »

Clean and sober (herion) for 21 years and never cheated. I will go through my stuff. I know I have a fair amount of extras. All used but in fine working order.

I can bring it to you. Give me contact info. For some reason I can't PM from this site.

Dennis