Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dave Testing Sockeye Salmon For Diseases on The Harrison River, Global TV.  (Read 9755 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Dave Testing Sockeye Salmon For Diseases on The Harrison River, Global TV.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »

The short clip of the floating sockeye was Global's file tape, not part of the video I filmed. I will try to find the exact date of when I shot the story.

I know. I didn't really pay much attention to it because I already knew it was the wrong month.

Harrison Sockeye start entering the Fraser in July and continue into October.  It's very protracted migration similar to Cultus.  Sockeye migrate into the Harrison Lake and hold in deeper parts of the lake.  In October and November, they begin moving downstream to spawn.  Peak of spawn in mid-November. In August and September there can be many prespawns in some years that drift downstream from the lake.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »

You nailed the site; too bad my memory has failed me a bit as to the date but as you know I was pretty busy back then ;) Fish were dying throughout the watershed and I was tasked with obtaining samples of them. We often dump on FN for their fishing practices (me included) but I have to say they were instrumental, and a tremendous help to the sampling programs I was involved with during those years of high pre spawning mortalities.

Yeah, those were the years (including 1998....but not in March..... :D) where Fraser Sockeye were entering freshwater earlier than normal.

Harrison Sockeye came in well below brood last year along with many others.  These are the Fraser Sockeye that apparently do not swim past fish farms.  There's another of Morton's theories that has bitten the dust.....Poof!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 09:42:30 PM »

as I am sure most of you well know, the Harrison- Lillooet- Weaver system hosts a number of runs to different rivers and all have to pass through the Harrison River. I remember the big die off well as I fished the river then and certainly noticed the large number of morts. The best I recall the Weaver late fall fish were included in the early return phenomena that effected the Adams River run though you can correct me if I am wrong.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 11:09:13 PM »

as I am sure most of you well know, the Harrison- Lillooet- Weaver system hosts a number of runs to different rivers and all have to pass through the Harrison River. I remember the big die off well as I fished the river then and certainly noticed the large number of morts. The best I recall the Weaver late fall fish were included in the early return phenomena that effected the Adams River run though you can correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 07:12:51 AM »

Yeah rriiiight, that's what you meant...lol. Your superior comprehension skills?  What about your superior communications skills...lol?  What happened to those skills?  Why didn't you just say Fall of 1998?  Maybe when you typed so slow you were thinking about Super Bowl commercials and not about how ambiguous your response was.  I knew the date was wrong already (the media does make errors) because I have actually been there when those Sockeye migrate in, spawn and die.  I actually watched these carcasses floating downstream from Harrison Lake in the October.  Better luck next time. ;D

I'm sorry you're too thick to comprehend what was said "7 seconds in it says March 99, so I'm betting 98"  ::)Makes perfect sense to most humans. Where would you like your Richard D. Cranium trophy sent? ;) When was the lunch date and I can bring it with me, along with the presentation panel of judges? ;D
http://

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 09:12:18 PM »

I'm sorry you're too thick to comprehend what was said "7 seconds in it says March 99, so I'm betting 98"  ::)Makes perfect sense to most humans. Where would you like your Richard D. Cranium trophy sent? ;) When was the lunch date and I can bring it with me, along with the presentation panel of judges? ;D

You mean it makes perfect sense to delusional people like yourself. Keep playing your games while the adults here talk about the issues. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:14:47 PM by shuswapsteve »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 09:58:56 PM »

You mean it makes perfect sense to delusional people like yourself. Keep playing your games while the adults here talk about the issues.

Did you decide on a lunch spot yet? I'm looking forward to meeting the real Brian the Biologist! ;D ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:01:50 PM by Novabonker »
http://

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »

I now have the original tape that I found in my video vault as well Dave gave me his copy. I am uploading 15 minutes of this now to show a little more of what was done that day, will post here later. The year was 2000 and we filmed on August the 15th.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »

Here is a portion of the raw tape I filmed for Global TV for anyone that may wish to view it. https://youtu.be/jU-sGcZJwS0

Dave looking good too. ;D ;D