Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who else has been tying recently? Let's see your flies!  (Read 20970 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Who else has been tying recently? Let's see your flies!
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »

5 minute epoxy will yellow in a year or so. Most folks used longer set epoxies & put the flies in a turner or some sort. A BBQ rotisserie motor is perfect and I just stuck a trimmed foam dink float in it and could put 3 or 4 flies on it. You can also rotate it by hand for 15 to 30 minutes. Sticking a half dozen flies in the cork of an old or broken rod should do the trick. I found Great Planes 30 minute epoxy worked well. I got it from a Hobby Shop. Here's a link to find a local dealer - there are several near my home city: http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wca56910ap.pgm?V=GPD. Rod wrap epoxy is also excellent. Just paint on a very thin film & rotate.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:41:17 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

tom lam

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »

5 minute epoxy will yellow in a year or so.

I coat it with Loctite after.

Tom

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »

A few of the latest...

BC Fishing

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »

Hi Speychucker,

I love the taper on your electric eel fly (pink head, blue collar and black tail). Do you mind telling us the way you achieved it?

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 07:54:13 AM »

Hi Speychucker,

I love the taper on your electric eel fly (pink head, blue collar and black tail). Do you mind telling us the way you achieved it?

The tail is rabbit strip with the leather cut to a point (not much of a point on this on ). The rest is cross cut rabbit wrapped around the tube. Hope that helps.