Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Tag  (Read 10741 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Tag
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »

If you fish for steelhead but try to save yourself 25$ by not buying a steelhead tag, you are a cheap SOB who doesn't even deserve to fish our beautiful province. You are a selfish prick who milks the system to your advantage without even considering that it is money from our licenses and tags that keeps the sport fishery running.

If you never (or very seldom) fish for steelhead yet you buy a steelhead tag every year because you feel that your 25$ go towards a worthy cause, then you are somebody I respect and would share the flow with any time.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 01:10:28 PM »

If you fish for steelhead but try to save yourself 25$ by not buying a steelhead tag, you are a cheap SOB who doesn't even deserve to fish our beautiful province. You are a selfish prick who milks the system to your advantage without even considering that it is money from our licenses and tags that keeps the sport fishery running.

If you never (or very seldom) fish for steelhead yet you buy a steelhead tag every year because you feel that your 25$ go towards a worthy cause, then you are somebody I respect and would share the flow with any time.

What if the guy bought a Steelhead tag but parked too close to your truck door? Would you still respect and share the flow with him?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »

Here, Here !!!  ;D

I do fish for steelhead but if I didn't or barely did I would still buy the tag because who knows, I could catch a steelhead while fishing for trout. I know LOTS of guys that fish trout and catch more steelhead than you'd think as bycatch and because they have their stamps can take a clipped one as table fair.....yum !
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »

If you are fishing trout with 15lb main and 12lb leaders, obviously the CO will question that!!!!

If it goes to court, I would assume you will end up losing your case.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 05:15:33 PM »

I don't fish for steelhead, and have not done so for many years.

While we donate our money to many worthy charitable causes, the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund, via a steelhead conservation surcharge, isn't one of them.

And just when I thought I had garnered your respect and we may fish together some day...  :(     

islanddude

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 07:53:48 PM »

Where in the regs. does it restrict gear size. Some gear restrictions apply mostly to barb less hooks and fly fishing only areas of said river or lake.
 Look up the definition of angle. A tin can with some line, a sinker and hook could be used and that would be angling and require a fishing license.
 It would be really hard to prove intent when the law states other wise. No gear restrictions pertaining to rod, line or reel.
 There used to be public voluntary angling, stream swims and other interaction with fisheries that went the way of the dodo bird when certain biologist's took over the provincial leadership. They pushed out the the voluntary segment and hired on a certain group of people to do the fishing which the local anglers had done for years before. At no cost to the province by the way.
 I intend on fishing for trout with what ever gear I would like any time I would like other than what the regulations say in terms of restrictions.
 If you don't like it get the regulations changed.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 11:23:52 AM »

What if the guy bought a Steelhead tag but parked too close to your truck door? Would you still respect and share the flow with him?

As long as they don't tell me to enter on the passenger side, all is good! LOL!

I don't fish for steelhead, and have not done so for many years.
While we donate our money to many worthy charitable causes, the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund, via a steelhead conservation surcharge, isn't one of them.

And just when I thought I had garnered your respect and we may fish together some day...  :(     

Clarki, I'll fish with you anytime.  :)
Buy a tag and we can go steelheading too! ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 07:34:27 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how come?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 09:27:11 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how come?
How come I don't purchase a steelhead conservation surcharge stamp when I don't fish for steelhead?

Because I'm thrifty/cheap and don't like spending money on things I don't use.  25 bucks is 25 bucks.  I buy tidal and non tidal licenses, I buy salmon conservation stamps for both licenses, and I buy a sturgeon conservation license when necessary,  because I use those licenses and stamps when I participate in those fisheries.

But I don't buy Shushwap Lake rainbow trout, Shushwap Lake char, Kootenay Lake rainbow trout, or steelhead conservation stamps, or a classified waters license, because I'm not a participant in those fisheries.

Now my wife and I support several charities, so why do I donate there and not donate $25 (via an unused steelhead stamp) annually to HCTF?  It comes down to personal values, I guess. Because the charities that we support are people-centric and I believe that people have more intrinsic worth than fish.  I view fishing in a more utilitarian way, and I do not donate money in the same way that I do to a charity.

I donate money to "people" charities because of my personal values and I buy fishing licenses/stamps based upon my use of them.

And 25 bucks is 25 bucks :)

Is that somewhat clear?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 10:32:30 PM »

How come I don't purchase a steelhead conservation surcharge stamp when I don't fish for steelhead?

Because I'm thrifty/cheap and don't like spending money on things I don't use.  25 bucks is 25 bucks.  I buy tidal and non tidal licenses, I buy salmon conservation stamps for both licenses, and I buy a sturgeon conservation license when necessary,  because I use those licenses and stamps when I participate in those fisheries.

But I don't buy Shushwap Lake rainbow trout, Shushwap Lake char, Kootenay Lake rainbow trout, or steelhead conservation stamps, or a classified waters license, because I'm not a participant in those fisheries.

Now my wife and I support several charities, so why do I donate there and not donate $25 (via an unused steelhead stamp) annually to HCTF?  It comes down to personal values, I guess. Because the charities that we support are people-centric and I believe that people have more intrinsic worth than fish.  I view fishing in a more utilitarian way, and I do not donate money in the same way that I do to a charity.

I donate money to "people" charities because of my personal values and I buy fishing licenses/stamps based upon my use of them.

And 25 bucks is 25 bucks :)

Is that somewhat clear?

Perfect, explained what I wanted to know. I was under the impression that you were suggesting that people should not support HCTF, but good to have that cleared up.

I do agree with you regarding the silliness of being pressured into buying a steelhead conservation surcharge when you are not fishing for steelhead. It's a user fee, not a donation...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »

Perfect, explained what I wanted to know. I was under the impression that you were suggesting that people should not support HCTF, but good to have that cleared up.

Oh, I see what you are getting at. No, I was certainly not implying that the HCTF was not a worthy cause.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 03:36:07 PM »

It comes down to personal values, I guess. Because the charities that we support are people-centric and I believe that people have more intrinsic worth than fish.

I used to think the same, but my view has changed as I got older. Most charities donate no more than 20% of their proceedings (often not even that!). The rest goes to pay fat salaries to the people that run them. They are little more than corporations, hiding behind the "non-profit" tag for tax purposes.  :-\

Paraphrasing Mark Twain, the better I know people, the more I like animals.

I still donate regularly to UNICEF, the Red Cross and a couple local hospitals, as I believe that they are genuinely dedicated to their causes.