Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dual batteries: best set up?  (Read 2509 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Dual batteries: best set up?
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:14:06 AM »

So, our jet boat currently has just one battery. Aside from starting the boat (duh), I believe the only other accessories connected to it are the fish finder and bilge pump. On my list of "things to do" for the boat are to install another battery for the accessories, and have the starting battery dedicated just to starting the motor.

Can anyone recommend the best way to go here?

I have seen on some boats, some interesting looking device, perhaps a clock like dial (?), and I believe you can select battery A, or B, or run both simultaneously? And I believe it is wired so the battery in use charges the battery not being used?

Currently I run the FF with the main motor off when we are anchored or trolling. This always makes me nervous as the starting battery, I believe, is not really meant to be slowly discharged. Last thing I need anchored up in the Fraser is a dead battery! However, now I carry a battery booster pack so at least I should be able to get started if I were to deplete the battery to the point where it could not start the main motor. I do hook the battery up to a trickle charger every time I get home and make sure it is topped up for the next outing.

Anyway, if anyone can give me some tips on the "best" way to run dual batteries that would be awesome. :)

cglasgow

Re: Dual batteries: best set up?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »

Let me start by saying there are many hits on a Google search that have great instructions and diagrams (wiring schematics) But there are a few different set ups to do this, but basically there is an easy way and an expensive way. Of course the expensive way is the least hassle, other than charging after a trip you'll never have to think of your batteries, It consists of a marine switch (the clock like dial) your 2 batteries and a battery isolater, the isolater is a wonderful device that will ensure both batteries are getting a nice full charge while your underway and your engine is running and give you the peace of mind knowing both your batteries are being charged. Now the cheaper way is you don't have the isolater, alot simpler set up but you are constantly in the battery compartment messing around with the dial. The set up is very easy. You just need the marine switch, battery cables, a deep cycle battery and a starting battery. The "perko" marine switch will typically have 4 positions- battery 1/battery 2/ both /off. You will have to be constantly aware of what position your switch is in, normally you will have the starting battery just for turning the engine over and run everything else off of the deep cycle battery be aware that when you are underway whatever battery you have selected will be the only one being charged! So either choose both or make sure you've let the engine charge your starting battery before you switch to the deep cycle. Don't select "both" while just releasing and listening to the radio or you run the risk of draining your starting battery

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 04:33:15 PM »

^Everything he said x 2

+

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027NRBUA?psc=1#customerReviews
There are dozens of different types, manufacturers etc.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:51:40 PM »

Thanks guys. I've looked at some of the wiring set ups on google. It seems to make sense.

So with the isolator both batteries are getting a charge while the main motor is running. And if you don't opt for the isolator then you need to make sure the dial in the correct position. For example, while cruising on the main motor you'd want to be on "both" mode so both batteries are getting a charge. Whereas anchored with the main motor off you'd want to be on just the d/c battery so you don't drain your starting battery!

I have another idea that is the most basic. Just wondering of there is any reason this way would suck.

So the main (starting) battery would only have the main motor hooked up to it.

The deep cycle would have the fish finder and bilge pump hooked up to it. Right now we don't have any other electronics (radio etc.).

When I get home from fishing hook a battery tender up to each battery, and both batteries will be good to go for the next day's fishing. I realize the deep cycle will not be charged at any point in the day while fishing. However I highly doubt just my fish finder will drain the d/c battery much, no? The advantage I see in this system is there is no possibility of leaving the dial in the wrong position and draining your starting battery. I can see this system not working if you were going to be on the water for several days then your d/c never gets a charge and will eventually be dead! However we typically just go fishing for the day then come home.

Also I wonder, when the main motor is running, is the starting battery being charged up? Or do you need to install a marine switch and/or isolator to have a charge going to the main battery?

Tenz85

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:18:45 PM »

I'm guessing when the switch runs both batteries in tandem it would be in a parallel circuit so it could hamper the better battery in the long run especially if there not the size/type.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »

Just an idea...anyone have an opinion of these dual purpose Optima batteries? I know they are expensive but I like that there would be less battery weight in the stern only running one battery, and pretty simple! Just run one battery and charge it up after the day's fishing.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/products/bluetop/