Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you coming to "Chilliwack's All About Fishing"?

Yes! :D
- 26 (55.3%)
No... :(
- 21 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: March 13, 2016, 06:09:21 PM

Author Topic: Chilliwack's All About Fishing 2016  (Read 23258 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack's All About Fishing 2016
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »

When this website started in 2001, I envisioned that I would contribute to the recreational fishing community by putting on an annual event that promotes responsible fishing practices, conservation and watershed stewardship. We accomplished that between 2003 and 2012, by hosting "Fish for the Future" in Steveston. The last few years, after our son arrived I had to take a break because there wasn't time to keep doing this, plus the City of Richmond seemed more interested in developing housing than promoting fishing.

This year, with the support from Tourism Chilliwack and Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, I will be reviving an event which the Fraser Valley Salmon Society used to host many years ago. It's called "Chilliwack's All About Fishing", and it'll be hosted from 9am to 5pm on Saturday March 12th at the Chilliwack Heritage Park (the big red barn buildings you see at Lickman Road exit on Highway 1). We are inviting everyone, whether you are young or old, a novice or advanced angler, to come out, learn about fishing opportunities in the Fraser Valley, exchange ideas, and more importantly to have fun.

I've invited all of my colleagues in the industry, experts in a particular fishing discipline, members of various fishing organizations, to come out and host demonstrations on different fishing techniques, etc. The event floor will be 15,000 square feet, so it is quite big! There'll be a large area set up for single and double hand fly casting, fly tying stations for you to try tying your own patterns. There'll be two dozen stations set up to cover topics like jig tying, sturgeon fishing, bar fishing in the Fraser River, river float fishing, lure fishing for steelhead, rod building, lake fishing boat setups, etc. There'll also be a section dedicated for watershed stewardship and conservation, where you can get information from groups such as Steelhead Society of BC, Fraser Basin Council, Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition, etc. DFO and province's conservation officers will be on site to answer your questions. Finally, there'll be lots of activities for the smaller kids too, including fish fighting simulator and arts & crafts.

PRIZES!

Everyone who come to the event will have a chance to win the big prizes. These include:

- $250 Gibbs-Delta Tackle gift package
- 4 hour guided Fraser River sturgeon fishing trip for two people from Great River Fishing Adventures
- 1.5 hour Harrison River eco boat tour with prestige Sportfishing
- Birthday party for 15 kids at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery
- $100 Bent Rods salmon jig kit
- $100 gift certificate at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle
- $100 gift certificate at Fred's Custom Tackle
- Scotty fishing rod holder and transducer mount
- Humminbird PiranhaMAX 197c DI fish finder

Please check out the website for complete details:

http://www.fraservalleysalmonsociety.ca/all-about-fishing.html

An event page has been set up on Facebook for those who are on there, you can go ahead and RVSP and save it so it is in your calendar:

https://www.facebook.com/events/206694289675306/

If you have suggestions or would like to help out at the event, please let me know by email info@fishingwithrod.com. See you all on March 12th! :)

Dogbreath

Re: Chilliwack's All About Fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:49:43 PM »

'Like'!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »

In the next few weeks I will be announcing who we have invited to be guest instructors at this year's show.

I'm happy to hear that Rod Toth from Bent Rods Guiding and Fishing will be joining us. As many of you already know, Rod is the go-to guy when it comes to jig fishing for salmon and steelhead. On March 12th, Rod will be tying jigs that are commonly used for both salmon and steelhead in Chilliwack. He will also show you how to set these jigs up properly when fished with or without a float. If you want to catch more winter steelhead this season, be sure to stop by his table!

hrenya

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:06:09 AM »

can I bring my dad and my  sister ? :)

TimL

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 10:21:38 PM »

Am definitely interested! However I'm not sure yet whether I will be free on that date..

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 11:18:02 PM »

As I mentioned on the Facebook page, I will unfortunately be busy with Provincial Aboriginal Archery Camp that weekend.  Should things change, then Max and I would've there in a heart beat.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 11:26:58 PM »

can I bring my dad and my  sister ? :)

You can bring whoever you want... Bring the whole neighbourhood. It's a free event.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 01:10:30 PM »

Gibbs-Delta prostaff Rick Clark will be joining us as another demonstrator at the event. He'll be doing saltwater salmon seminars, showing the set-ups for salmon trolling around Vancouver (Burrard Inlet, Howe Sound, Fraser River mouth). :)

Info on more guest instructors to come.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 08:56:08 PM »

Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC will be on site to answer your questions on how your freshwater fishing licence dollars are spent, where and when fish are being stocked in our lakes, etc. Staffs will also be hosting ongoing learn to fish sessions for kids. There'll be an aquarium with species stocked by the hatchery as well as the stocking truck for touring.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 01:15:06 PM »

BC Federation of Drift Fishers will be joining us on March 12th. :) BCFDF has been an active organization when it comes to passing on fishing knowledge to young anglers, and preserving fishing opportunities and fish stocks for future generations. It's great to have them helping out at this year's event!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »

Chilliwack Fish and Games Club will be attending the event. Their members will be doing demos on how to set up a salmon float fishing rig. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »

Conservation officers will be joining us on March 12th. If you have a question for them, or have concerns which you want to address, be sure to come out to the event and chat with them.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 05:10:01 PM »

Good work Rod for putting this all together, will be a great event.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 11:50:41 AM »

Nick Basok, "The Master", will be presenting the how-tos on Fraser River bar fishing. This one you do not want to miss. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »

Event website is now live:

http://www.fraservalleysalmonsociety.ca/all-about-fishing.html

Lots of new presenters and participating organizations have been added to the list. March 12th's event is looking bigger each day. :)