Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: crabbing  (Read 13714 times)

Dude

Re: crabbing
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 05:24:35 PM »

Anyone get out crabbing this weekend ? How did it go

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »

7 keepers, indian arm

TimL

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 11:04:53 PM »

4 keeper red rocks, no keeper dungies..all females and undersized males. This was shore-based in the Belcarra area. Tide was definitely not optimal for shore-based crabbing (over 10 ft difference between low and high tides) this weekend.

BananasQ

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »

Skunked on the Sechelt Inlet - just getting a feel for it still. Very different to Indian Arm.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »

sorry all dungies

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »

all soft shells in White Rock

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 09:29:43 AM »

Skunked on the Sechelt Inlet - just getting a feel for it still. Very different to Indian Arm.

I find that area needs a long soak. In my experience there is fewer crab in terms of numbers, but they're almost all keepers, I usually get 3-5 crab in a trap after a good soak, but most of the males will be legal.

TimL

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »

I find that area needs a long soak. In my experience there is fewer crab in terms of numbers, but they're almost all keepers, I usually get 3-5 crab in a trap after a good soak, but most of the males will be legal.
Had a similar experience last fall when crabbing in the Gibsons. Not as many crabs but the keepers there are all significantly over-sized and mature-I limited out that day...just need to put in more time to get them.

BananasQ

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »

Thanks NA, what would you consider a "good soak" - I did a 4 hour soak, but this area is tricky - its very fjord like and very steep and rocky, not ideal for dungeness.  I think I need to find the right spot still, but hey, that's all part of the fun!

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »

It's the same as fish.  no more notes from your buddies, they closed that loophole. Lol

This is how it reads

"You may transport another person’s sport caught fish, provided that the total of all fish possessed does not exceed your personal possession limit for each individual species prescribed by regulation or by licence condition."

I gather the above quote was from this page: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/packaging-emballage-eng.html

Which also says:

From section 13, British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations:

Possession
13. (1) No person shall possess more fish of a species, other than halibut, except at the person’s ordinary residence, than twice the daily quota for fish of that species prescribed by these Regulations.

The British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations state that you may possess only twice the daily limit of all species (except halibut, as set out in the Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence). This possession limit applies per person whether you or someone else caught the fish.

If the daily limit is 4, then the possession limit is 8 and nowhere does it state that what you possess must have been caught by you. The way its worded it seems that the original poster should be allowed to transport his friend's limit of crabs in addition to his own for a total of 8.

If so, the loophole seems to still somewhat exist, but what you cannot do anymore is drive home with 50 crabs along with a dozen 'notes' from 'friends' who supposedly caught their own then gave them to you.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »

Thanks NA, what would you consider a "good soak" - I did a 4 hour soak, but this area is tricky - its very fjord like and very steep and rocky, not ideal for dungeness.  I think I need to find the right spot still, but hey, that's all part of the fun!

As long as possible. 4 hours is a pretty good soak if you're just waiting for the traps. You're right though if you're on a ledge or rocky bottom you're going to be pressed for luck, especially on a big tide swing.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »

A lot folk get impatient and check thier trap too frequently.
It takes a bit of time for a crab to find the bait after they get the scent (tides will play a part) you pull your trap just before they all jump in and then they shake their little crab heads and wander away.
They don't swim quickly like a fish.

Good luck 8)

hrenya

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 05:05:15 PM »

I gather the above quote was from this page: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/packaging-emballage-eng.html

Which also says:

If the daily limit is 4, then the possession limit is 8 and nowhere does it state that what you possess must have been caught by you. The way its worded it seems that the original poster should be allowed to transport his friend's limit of crabs in addition to his own for a total of 8.

If so, the loophole seems to still somewhat exist, but what you cannot do anymore is drive home with 50 crabs along with a dozen 'notes' from 'friends' who supposedly caught their own then gave them to you.

ty for explanations , I was really confused . and I will never do "the 50 crabs transport" . I asked exactly about 8 crabs , when technically we could keep 16 :)
I do fish by the rules , but you know sometimes you give your catch away to bud of yours if he needs it more than you , or if you don't really want it , but he would gladly accept it . I don't see anything wrong with that , cuz both of us putting in time and fish by rules ...
anyways , to make long story short , we end up with 4 crabs keepers and those were donated to me , thanks to Tim :)

96XJ

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 04:03:54 PM »

I know there was a motion to close crabbing in an area in the sechelt inlet due to over fishing

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »

Possession limit is to be reflective of those who travel.
If you live in Vancouver, Crab in Vancouver and go home you better be able to prove you were camping.

If you have over your personal limit.
Or a good reason or a note with his/here license number from the person who gifted you with the crabs.
Perhaps, he had to go home and change before he came back to your house for the crab cookoff.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:18:45 PM by Fish or cut bait. »