Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What kind of Antibiotics are used in fish farms and what's slice?  (Read 5250 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Hey all you pro-fish farm advocates, out of curiosity what types of antibiotics are used on salmon farms?

And also what's 'slice'?

I assume your depth of knowledge at trashing Morton will also be able to enlighten me about these two products used in Salmon Farming.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: What kind of Antibiotics are used in fish farms and what's slice?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »

Google is your friend.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 01:23:13 PM »

Google is your friend.

Ewe Dave not sure that entirely true.  You can pretty much find anything on there that suits your beliefs so it may be easy to be lead astray.  In the case of SWF I suspect that he will find what he wants to believe which will likely be something along the lines of "oh, its really bad", hormones are used extensively as well.  lol
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »

Google is your friend.
Now looks who is not answering questions, I hope this is not catching on. ;D ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 02:35:22 PM »

This stuff has been answered many times over. I'm not wasting any time going over it again.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »

OK, I was wrong and like CK am losing patience :(  Here are a few sites that answer SWF questions regarding SLICE and antibiotic use on salmon farms.  Aqua is totally correct as SWF could find whatever he wants to believe in a few seconds with his own search

SLICE
http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/9/slice-for-the-control-of-sealice/

antibiotics
http://www.truenorthsalmon.com/faqs.asp

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »

OK, I was wrong and like CK am losing patience :(  Here are a few sites that answer SWF questions regarding SLICE and antibiotic use on salmon farms.  Aqua is totally correct as SWF could find whatever he wants to believe in a few seconds with his own search

SLICE
http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/9/slice-for-the-control-of-sealice/

antibiotics
http://www.truenorthsalmon.com/faqs.asp
Never lose patience Dave, continue to post and write what you believe in.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:58:59 PM »

I like to return SWF's question to him.  Let us know what you find and what you believe to be true.

Don't forget to include your sources.

Also it is very interesting if you  compare antibiotic use in beef chicken and pork to bc farmed salmon.

I'm with dave, its been gone over so many times here that I don't see the point in an extensive response with a discussion afterward.  This thread seems to stick with current issues and I like that.

Having said that, its not uncommon to have someone, say like a paid activist, to come to these rooms and repost, repeat, all the negative buzzwords activist like to use.  It sounds a bit like this:  ya but what about the poop, ya but what about the sea lice, ya but what about the feed, ya but what about the bottom,  oh but the sea lice.... repeat, repeat repeat...

Except for Chris.  Chris is special.

Edit: re, "chris is special"  I believe Chris's heart is in the right place.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:02:50 PM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 04:04:48 PM »

I like to return SWF's question to him.  Let us know what you find and what you believe to be true.

Don't forget to include your sources.

Also it is very interesting if you  compare antibiotic use in beef chicken and pork to bc farmed salmon.

I'm with dave, its been gone over so many times here that I don't see the point in an extensive response with a discussion afterward.  This thread seems to stick with current issues and I like that.

Have said that, its not uncommon to have someone, say like a paid activist, to come to these rooms and repost, repeat, all the negative buzzwords activist like to use.  It sounds a bit like this:  ya but what about the poop, ya but what about the sea lice, ya but what about the feed, ya but what about the bottom,  oh but the sea lice.... repeat, repeat repeat...

Except for Chris.  Chris is special.

Edit: re, "chris is special"  I believe Chris's heart is in the right place.
Thanks, my wife has said a few times, I am, "special" for over 50 years. ;D ;D

I found this about Slice any comments if what is said here is correct? http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/salmon-farming-problems/environmental-impacts/chemical-treatments-slice/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:07:18 PM by chris gadsden »

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »

Never lose patience Dave, continue to post and write what you believe in.

Awe what a supportive group. Thank you.

On a side note you should have a listen to the latest on antibiotic resistance...

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-january-12-2016-1.3399782/mcr-1-and-the-dawn-of-the-post-antibiotic-age-1.3399846

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »

Awe what a supportive group. Thank you.

On a side note you should have a listen to the latest on antibiotic resistance...

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-january-12-2016-1.3399782/mcr-1-and-the-dawn-of-the-post-antibiotic-age-1.3399846
Yes I listen to that live yesterday morning, was disturbing. Thanks for posting for those that missed it.