Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yakoun River questions  (Read 9456 times)

Shinny

Yakoun River questions
« on: December 03, 2015, 08:01:46 PM »

I'm heading up to work in Haida Gwaii at Queen Charlotte for a couple days two weeks from now.  I'm hoping to get out at least one day for some steelheading. I read some great things about the Yakoun River. From what I read it's closed to fishing from October to April from the lake down about 13kms. Can someone tell me if there is an actual marker of the boundary?

It looks like the middle section of the river fishes the good and is most accesssble. A bird told me that around the gold creek area and king creek areas are good. How is navigating this river? Would love to be able to do a hike through some old growth to a beautifully river.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:13:37 PM by Shinny »

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Yakoun River questions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »

Yes there are signs and this is Class II water September to May, so a classified waters license is required in addition to your steelhaead stamp.
Not all those who wander are lost

Shinny

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »

Ohhh, good too know. I will go online asap and get that. Thanks!

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 05:50:40 PM »

I've fished the river coming in from Port Clements, watch for logging trucks as it is an active busy road. If you have a CB, you're good. . This river is skinny water that is affected easily by rain, anything above 2.0 is unfishable - seriously. Check the hydrometer before heading out. I usually spend a couple of weeks up there and wait out the rain. There are other rivers in the area that are less affected, the Mamin is one. Have fun exploring - it is epic country.
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

Shinny

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »

Thanks for the response ffonly, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. My trip has been pushed back by a month now so I will be heading up in January. Looks like there are a few great rivers too check out. Mamin, Deena, Copper, Tlell and Pallant. Sounds like I should try and get a few extra days off too explore, who knows when I will be back.

nevertoolate

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »

I was trying to book a guided steelhead trip in Haida Gwaii but found out you have to book a year in advance.  Can anyone tell me if its worth the trip to go their and try on my own?

Shinny

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 12:17:56 PM »

Guy I talked too at work went up last year. Him and two other guys flew into sandspit. They rented a double wide trailer for $35/night. Trailer is better than you would think, had everything...looked like a house inside. Rented an old truck for $100/day and got hooked up with a local native fellow who fished with them for 5 days at various rivers. Pictures I saw were incredible.

I think with some research, maps and portable gps you would find some great spots and would be a fun adventure.

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »

Final note - I wouldn't recommend the Tlell for Steelhead. It's quite dark full time (cedar and run off). They are in there but it will take you some time to figure out where they hold as the water doesn't show much due to colour.

If you're flying into Sandspit you'll take a ferry over to Charlotte City. Hit the up the tackle shop in QC for more insight into the starting points and boundaries on the Yakoun. They'll give you the exact kms on the logging roads. I think your current info around the lake/hatchery is a bit off. I won't be giving directions on this forum but if you're paying $$$ for flights etc, you need some support.
Peace.
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.

Shinny

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 05:35:07 PM »

Thanks ffonly , I am flying into sandspit and working in QC at the hospital for a few days. I was planning on speaking to someone at the local tackle shop to get some more info. All the flights, hotels and meals are being covered by my employer, the bonus is trying to get a fist full of steel and soak up some of BC's best coastlines and rivers.

Silex-user

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »

Last time I was there I stay at Hecate Inn. Bit pricey but I like the creature comforts. If you need to rent a set of wheels go check out West Auto phone is 1-250-559-4641. They are located in Q.C city.

Yakoun river is one better rivers to fished. Start at Papa John bridge fished upstream or down stream is good. Branch 32, King's creek is another good place. Personally the spot (honey hole)I like is called the tunnel run. Watch out for logging trucks.

If Yakoun river is blown out try fishing Manin river. The spot called the Horseshoe runs is good bet.

If you staying Sandspit side fishing the Copper river is good choice. Lots of cutthroat trouts ,Dolly Varden there. Denna (sp) river is later Spring steelhead running river. I find March is best time.

Hope this helps.

Silex-user

96XJ

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 09:16:08 PM »

I second the Hecate Inn , the best of two that were there last time I was there , never river fished in the rivers when I was there , but when we fished in the chuck , had my best day ever - landed over 20 healthy coho and springs in a couple of hours

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 02:55:18 PM »

Tip...
Have spare gas. We stayed in Port Clements and the gas station was out of gas. Also a GPS is a must for the Yakoun.
The Restaurant in Port Clements was really good after a day fishing.they were closed by the time we got there but the owner opened for us. Wicked hot Chili.
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.