Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter Fishing Suggestions?  (Read 2603 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Winter Fishing Suggestions?
« on: December 27, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »

Looking to get out fishing this week (Dec 26- 31) but still new to the sport and don't know what I can catch this time of year.

Tried for bass at Albert Dyck park a few weeks back but it was dead there. Read online afterwards that bass aren't active when it's cold.

What about pikeminnow at Garry Point Park, like in Rod's video? Is that viable in December?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4-3lKmroo8

And how about rainbow trout? Can you catch them in the winter? Been wanting to try Sasamat for a while but haven't yet.

Any other suggestions on species/techniques/locations that work this time of year? I don't care too much what I'm catching, just want to get out and clear my head  ;D

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
Re: Winter Fishing Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 11:52:42 AM »

You can get Bulls, rainbow, and Cutties at the mouths of creeks and rivers throughout the fraser, whitefish as well. Bulls trout and steelhead all throughout the Vedder this time of year as well. A lot of that is catch and release, but you might find the fish a bit more active in the moving water than in the lakes this time of year.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »

I hear it's snowing up the valley and it will get cold in the coming week. This will put fishing off.Some rivers like the Fraser may form ice rafts, shore ice and even anchor ice. It will be very and fishing will be very slow if not non-existent until water temps warm up and that can be a week or 2 if not more after a return to milder weather. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

slava

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 11:59:56 PM »

Try herring near Garry Point

TimL

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 06:11:42 AM »

How about winter crabbing in the ocean? Try the local piers or the shoreline around Burrard inlet. Bottomfishing for groundfish (flounder, greenling, surfperch..) will be slow from shore at this time of year but not totally impossible. Much to my surprise I have caught surfperch as early as January/February. Just have to know where they hold and time your trips with the tide.