Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swinging trout beads?  (Read 8211 times)

Stantonius

Swinging trout beads?
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:05:56 PM »

Has anybody tried swinging trout beads without an indicator but using a sink tip? I've heard a few people say they were quite successful doing this. Just wanted to know if this a technique worth trying. Would save time putting together the egging setup or carrying two rods.

Thanks

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Swinging trout beads?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »

Can it be effective?  sure I saw a guy on the adams doing it.  However at the same time I helped him land a bull trout he snagged near the anal fin. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:50:44 PM by clarkii »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »

Can it be effective?  sure I saw a guy on the adams doing it.  However at the same time I helped him land a bull trout he snagged near the anal fin.

What's the relevancy of that comment? Any method can snag a fish. We've snagged them high stick nymphing, indicator fishing, swinging. It happens. The one time you saw it could have very well been the one time he got one snagged all season. Don't try and judge a method you deem as "less prestigious" than your euro nymphing based on one encounter.

By your logic, swinging intruders for steelhead could result in a snagged fish...

That all being said, I would say high sticking/indicator fishing beads is better. You want a drag free, natural rolling drift. Fish them close or right on bottom. Swinging doesn't look natural, and these fish see thousands of natural eggs every day, so something odd will stand out IMO. I've caught fish tripping in eggs, swinging eggs, but significantly less than dead drifting them.

ajransom

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »

It can work, but dead drift is far more effective. Eggs don't move in the current, they drift, rolling along the bottom. Find some "redds" and dead drift an egg pattern just below and you will have success. Rainbows in particular love feeding on salmon eggs that dislodge from the redds. If you have clear water you can fish without an indicator too.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:05:48 PM »

What's the relevancy of that comment? Any method can snag a fish. We've snagged them high stick nymphing, indicator fishing, swinging. It happens. The one time you saw it could have very well been the one time he got one snagged all season. Don't try and judge a method you deem as "less prestigious" than your euro nymphing based on one encounter.

By your logic, swinging intruders for steelhead could result in a snagged fish...

That all being said, I would say high sticking/indicator fishing beads is better. You want a drag free, natural rolling drift. Fish them close or right on bottom. Swinging doesn't look natural, and these fish see thousands of natural eggs every day, so something odd will stand out IMO. I've caught fish tripping in eggs, swinging eggs, but significantly less than dead drifting them.

Well one beads are less prestigious and not even fly fishing but if you want to see that, flybc has a topic on it :P 8).

Two your swinging a pegged bead across a current with a hook 1.5 (3.8cm)-2 inches behind, assuming that A. your bead is not sliding further up the line.  Potential to snag goes up way more then an intruder (an intruder is a large object) and unless your an idiot and putting the hook behind materials more then likely your fish isn't going to snag.  At the same time with a bead rig you want the fish to only see 7 mm of the over 3.8cm set up, hook at the back as opposed to wanting the fish to see 7.63cm or more of materials with the hook within the materials (aka the thing you want the fish to see). 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:11:58 PM by clarkii »

Stantonius

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:48:59 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will most likely continue with the indicator/bead setup. I put the question out there because last weekend while fishing in the Squamish area, I saw a guy casting a double hand and swinging only a bead with sink tip. He covered water steps at a time and let the bead roll right into the shallows. At the end of the day I chatted with him and he said he's been quite successful fishing like that. I should include I didn't see him catch anything but the method sparked my interest. Sounds like the natural drift presentation is the way to go and has worked well this time of year, so the journey continues.. Cheers!

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 07:21:03 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will most likely continue with the indicator/bead setup. I put the question out there because last weekend while fishing in the Squamish area, I saw a guy casting a double hand and swinging only a bead with sink tip. He covered water steps at a time and let the bead roll right into the shallows. At the end of the day I chatted with him and he said he's been quite successful fishing like that. I should include I didn't see him catch anything but the method sparked my interest. Sounds like the natural drift presentation is the way to go and has worked well this time of year, so the journey continues.. Cheers!

That makes sense, it is easier for him to cast just a bead on a 2 hander then to throw an indicator rig.

ajransom

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »

Why not give it a try? If it works, great - you have a new technique! If not, go back to indicator fishing.

As an aside, one thing you can do is pick a run and work UPSTREAM with your indicator rig dead drifting eggs. Once you get to the head of the pool, replace your leader with a short piece of sink tip and a large streamer (or bull trout fly for that matter) and work back DOWNSTREAM the same run. You might encounter fish on the way back that you missed with the dead drifted egg. Also might catch a nice bull trout!

featherchucker

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 12:49:53 AM »

the method works fine as does nymphing that way.as long as the bead or nymph is rolling along the bottom.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 06:34:19 PM »

I find if u fish tight enough to u swinging beads isn't a problem I cast up streem and high stick as much line as I can then mend up stream once it's in front of me then let it swing out I fish a floating tip but with big shot so I get a rolling action I fish a 10'6 5/6 wt beuhal switch
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:35:51 PM by SteelheadAdict »

hotrod

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »

Caught plenty of fish just swinging them. Usually they are so aggressive they don't care, especially when the presentation looks too good for them to pass it up. Steelhead, Rainbows and bulls have all fallen for the swing!