Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 301912 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Fishing conditions were good with very few fisherman and even fewer fish around. Fished a lot of first water today and came up empty. The few anglers I encountered did not see a fish either. Very very slow in the upper and mid stretches. Not sure how the lower areas are fairing but I suspect not much better.

SilverChaser

She gettin dirty
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

bobby b

Was out yesterday.......fished upper and mid sections.
Water was not too too high early in the day but rose all day. Pretty low vis everywhere i fished... no bites, and none for the very few other anglers I met while out.
With the forecasted rain, I expect the river will be in fairly rough shape for at least the next week or two...  :(

Hopefully when the weather does clear and levels drop there will be a good number of big fish in the system..... fingers crossed

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:19:09 PM by bobby b »

BladeKid

• Old Timer

You complain, and say nailed it, yet you post pictures on the largest forum in B.C. It reaches a much wider audience than a privacy set facebook account would. Then you name and ask for information on a small river on your own thread and ASK for people to post pics of it :o Better give your head a little shake...

Fred's has commercialized this river completely the past 3 years. It will always be incredibly busy from here on out. No matter who posts what pictures, wherever they want, it will always have an insane amount of people just due to the (often exaggerated) Fred's reports.

Not only that, but a bunch of lesser known flows have seen a 100% (probably more) increase in anglers this past year due to some of the newer employees (at "the shop") with no regard for how sensitive and special those flows are. It's only a matter of time before you have to bring your own rock to every flow from Vasncouver to the Thompson. It'll only get worse.

People need to get back to putting in the time. Exploring is half the fun. Finding fish on your own is actually very rewarding. Everyone is looking to be spoon fed today. It's amazing the amount of new faces I've seen on a flow I've been fishing for a decade. Guys that have never fished the river somehow know every half decent hole on the river...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:27:06 PM by Michaelt »

milo

• Old Timer

[img] Guys that have never fished the river somehow know every half decent hole on the river...

They have Google Earth and Google maps and know how to use them. That, and a bit of reading on this and other local forums shortens the learning curve considerably.

NothingToSnagAbout

How bad is it? Did Noah's Ark sail by?

Dave

• Old Timer

It was pretty ugly around 9am in the Lickman Road area, high with near zero visibility, but still a few diehards out ;D

SilverChaser

Below Allison was poopy, above Allison the water wasn't actually too bad. Picked up enough bottles and cans to pay for my gas + coffee  ;D also shoutout to whoever cleaned up the area of all the crap just below Prison run and stacked it up nicely; next weekend if it is not gone i'll pick it up.

Floater

• Old Timer

Below Allison was poopy, above Allison the water wasn't actually too bad. Picked up enough bottles and cans to pay for my gas + coffee  ;D also shoutout to whoever cleaned up the area of all the crap just below Prison run and stacked it up nicely; next weekend if it is not gone i'll pick it up.
how much was your gas 1 dollar? lol
[

SilverChaser

how much was your gas 1 dollar? lol
I drove 3/4 of the way up Chwk Lake road in order to take photos of the mountains with the clouds rolling in so gas was more than $1

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Was out yesterday fishing the upper where the vis was good but the river super high. Allison pools was moving too fast to fish. Nobody there. A few cars parked at the Prison camp. Not a lot of people out. Usual suspects out at the Slab fishing the fast moving water there. No luck for myself or others I chatted with. We had a bunch of rain last night, that won't help matters.

Howlongsyourleader

Foot of visibility at the crossing this morning, better in the upper river. Felt fishy but nothing for me. Stopped raining now in Chilliwack but more rain expected tonight and tomorrow.
Have you seen my float?

Drewhill

Water is still very high. Even higher than last weekend. With the rain expected this is probably another washout weekend but what else is new.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Headed to C/V late morning yesterday but the lower was not fishable with high and chalky water. Even the gravel bar of the train bridge run was totally covered. So the lower was pretty toasted. Upper river was good visibility but most good spots had people camp posting there. Saw no action around me. Slow day.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Water was nasty today, I figured it would have been better since it had been dropping. Oh well, maybe in a day or two.
The Bigger The Better!