Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 300999 times)

Paulo

I thought this thread was about river conditions. Maybe there should be a soapbox posting.  ;)

John Revolver

Was out again today for a half day. Started up top water was clear , green colourd , and still abit high. Maybey some snow melt with the warm weather?

Went to the mid and I was shocked at the some of the changes to a few runs. Totally different flow in some portions.

Again, just like yesterday , water gets progressively murkier down low. Still , about a decent 2ft of vis.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:20:32 PM by John Revolver »

Every Day

• Old Timer

wow!...so many anglers passionately protecting steelhead in a hatchery enhanced river like the vedder. New anglers want advice about fishing and freds is now the bad guy? Is chilliwack dart and tackle next? Berry's bait and tackle also on the hit list?? If we dont encourage new people to start fishing.....then the funds used to stock hatchery fish in lakes and rivers will stay stagnant. The recreation needs new anglers every year. It provides jobs and adds to the local economies like chilliwack and Richmond, . Many anglers try for a year then just give up when they dont have success.....because they are newbies and its bad to give them tips to help them become better fisherman on the internet. So i guess rodney should be blamed as well because he tries to forward the fishing community with his website. If the angling pressure continues the steelhead will continue to be raised in the hatchery...they may even increase egg production.....year after year for anglers to catch more fish. AS usual we all act like we own the vedder.......again..  ::)

The problem with Fred's is not the constant barrage of exaggerated Vedder reports. The problem is the recent constant directing of people to small sensitive flows. If you walked into Chilliwack dart and tackle and dropped those rivers names, they'd give you hell for it, or would probably pull you aside and whisper it. They definitely do not tell a brand new angler to go there.

What crossed the line for me this year is when Fred's posted a summer from one of those flows, and then tried to pass it off as a winter run from the Vedder. Absolutely brutal.

I just don't understand the constant name dropping this year, not only on the Vedder, but the cowichan as well by big companies (like Gibbs). Post a pic of the fish with your lure, post some scenic pics, whatever, just don't directly say where. I don't get why companies do it, they gain nothing. I don't even see guides doing it typically, and their livelihood does depend on good fishing reports. You can't argue that having someone like Fred's not posting river names anymore would hurt their business if the guides don't even do it.

bigrig

90% of the fish caught by 10% of the "Hotrods" but chances are 99% of the people on the flows are properly licensed,are putting their hard earned time and money into the hobby we all love.
Try and educate instead of humilate and stop insinuating what people are up to.
Do you wake up looking at your kids and start scolding them before trying to show or teach them something.
Have a little patience and share what someone has taught you.
You may see life differently.
 :)

Joey

yap!,blamed Rodney for showing off his special coho lure in the canal ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Quite a few of you really need to catch a fish soon...

Knnn

• Old Timer

LOL, best post of the season.

dobrolub

Look like there is another blow out in the forecast.

nevertoolate

I went out on Monday.  Someone had posted it would be crazy with fishermen.  I forgot about Family Day and thought he was saying that so I wouldnt go. It WAS crazy with people.  I left after a few hours.  However I was by myself in quite a few places too and enjoyed my time out there anyway.

Never caught anything.   (second year now without a bite)

But in all honesty I dont get the problem as far as the fishing goes.  These are tiny blobs of roe or beads floating very quickly through a space where there are likely no fish anyway.  Of all the hundreds of casts on Monday, what are the chances of a fish seeing even one of them?  Not great I think.

SilverChaser

Is it me or does it seem like when it rains it really pours this year? Possible blowout this weekend
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Howlongsyourleader

Hordes of warm rain in the forecast.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:03:41 PM by Howlongsyourleader »
Have you seen my float?

milo

• Old Timer

Hordes of warm wet rain in the forecast.

Just in time to blow the river out for the weekend.
What else is new? :-\

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

It seems like the rain learns from DFO timing on commercial openings - always well timed in the week to shut down the weekend fishermen. LOL.  ;D ;D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Fished the rapids today. Visibility was not perfect but adequate for pocket water fishing  with about 2 ft visibility. But after a few hundred casts, the float never went down. I guess it will take a thousand casts for a fish. lol. Talked to other fishermen and they had nothing too and saw nothing. Went to lower later the day. Visibility is 3-4'. Clear enough but water is a bit higher than desired and most runs are a bit too fast. Rain picking up later the day so good luck for weekenders.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

There is a Fishing God after all ;D ;D ;D
http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=53553

Just in time to blow the river out for the weekend.
What else is new? :-\
It ain't the roe bro'