Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 298054 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer

I hope this does not degenerate into a typical train wreck.  I am interested in hearing both side of the argument.

clarki

• Old Timer

Perhaps have a poll then. I agree with milo, it'll be the beginning of the end.

There is no point in hurting fish (or even causing the stress) if you don't retain it. There is no justification to that.

On the other hand, there are many legally sanctioned, and popular among angler, fisheries that are strictly catch and release and draw thousands of anglers every year. How about the Fraser River sturgeon fishery, or many of the popular streams in the Kootenays that are C&R for trout/char? Very popular, world class, fisheries with huge economic impact.

There seems to be some justification...

I don't see the evidence that mandatory C&R will sound the death knell for a particular fishery.

Dave

• Old Timer

Well, it would sure make the river less crowded ;D

banx

Well, it would sure make the river less crowded ;D

some folks might think that would be a good thing.  ;)

dobrolub

On the other hand, there are many legally sanctioned, and popular among angler, fisheries that are strictly catch and release and draw thousands of anglers every year. How about the Fraser River sturgeon fishery, or many of the popular streams in the Kootenays that are C&R for trout/char? Very popular, world class, fisheries with huge economic impact.
There seems to be some justification...
Fish don't care for your economic benefit.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

How's the river condition?? ::)

milo

• Old Timer

Thanks Dobrolub. You clearly get it. :)

People here seem to forget that we anglers are just a tiny minority of the population (less than 1%), and that in the big scheme of things our opinions and wishes mean little more than nothing.

Most people today feel that catching and releasing fish is a barbaric practice where a human being (the angler) unnecessarily tortures an animal for his or her pleasure. While this sounds outrageous to most of us, it reflects the feelings and opinions of all but the smallest fraction of the population.

Animal rights activists worldwide are all over this, and as much as we may look at PETA et alles with disgust and disdain, they are gaining traction worldwide. I can foresee the day when catching and releasing becomes illegal everywhere, except in carefully managed (and expensive) private fisheries. It's happening already. In Switzerland and Germany catch and release has been legally banned for a few years now. You can only fish if you kill your catch. Releasing a fish back into the water after playing it will bring you a stiff fine if you are caught. A number of other European countries are considering following suit.

In today's world, the only thing that gives our sport some legitimacy is when we fish for FOOD. And while many among our very own ardent C&R practitioners laugh us off by saying that we can go and get the fish much cheaper in any supermarket, many anglers (myself included) shudder at the idea of buying farmed or commercially caught fish. I like to know where my fish comes from and how it was handled. With the fish I catch and kill, I do know. With supermarket fish...not so much. I am also slowly but surely getting back into hunting for the very same reason.

In the event that some myopic lawmakers end up heeding burbot's advice, in a few years we will witness the closing of hatcheries because catching and releasing only would make them pretty much redundant. With the demise of the hatcheries, conservation management will lose traction. Emboldened animal activists will start staging protests on the rivers and prevent us from torturing animals for our pleasure. Rampant poaching will follow. Eventually, sport fishing will be banned altogether as an unnecessary and inhumane practice. Not long after that, poachers will kill the last of the wild fish that manage to escape the commercial nets and long lines and we will only be able to catch fish in computer games and eat commercially farmed fish (shudder).

I have no problem catching and releasing the fish I cannot legally retain (or is not suitable tablefare) while I am trying to catch those that I can kill and eat. But I have stopped partaking in fisheries where I do not have a chance of catching a fish I can harvest (i.e. sturgeon fishing, trophy trout on C&R only lakes, Thompson steelhead, etc).

As long as I can continue to spend my down time on securing some natural and 100% organic protein for myself and my loved ones, I will continue practicing this controversial, yet beautiful blood sport. But if the C&R only crowd has it their way, I will reluctantly look elsewhere to invest my most precious asset.

Tight lines and many chrome smiles.

Milo

joshhowat

Holy cow!!

We better get out there and kill some fish. It's our right!!!!!

Back to reality, it has already been proven both fisheries work.

Imo

Hatchery fish are for eating.
Wild fish are for c&r, if it's not going to harm the fish for future generations.

If we stopped doing c&r on wild fish. No one would stand up for the fish and everything would become pavement eventually.

Eat, Sleep, Fish.

poper

This calls for some Metallica "kill em all", ..........hatchery only of course
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:39:22 PM by poper »

swimmingwiththefishes

Holy cow!!

We better get out there and kill some fish. It's our right!!!!!

Back to reality, it has already been proven both fisheries work.

Imo

Hatchery fish are for eating.
Wild fish are for c&r, if it's not going to harm the fish for future generations.

If we stopped doing c&r on wild fish. No one would stand up for the fish and everything would become pavement eventually.

The great debate begins... Hatchery programs have a place in some limited locations and with appropriate broodstock practices.

But these programs need to be closely watched and monitored for returning numbers so that we aren't wasting precious resource dollars on raising huge numbers of 'dumb' fish that do not know what a predator is and that mostly go into the bellies of seals, cormorants etc...not anglers.

Expensive seal food = waste of money/resources

It might be better to use this money on conservation, and research into sustainable catch + kill and catch + release fisheries.

okay back to topic....hows the water looking?

Even with a big system coming on Saturday, freezing level is looking good for this weekend.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:45:56 PM by swimmingwiththefishes »

bobby b

How's the river condition?? ::)

From lower all the way to upper the river was ( and prob still is ) very low vis. 8-10 inches tops on Monday.  I'm sure the level has come up since then too..

Was there all day ...saw no one else ... caught nothing .... but was great just to be out there. 

My 1st post btw... ( been a lurker for a while )

Glad to be here.. this was my very 1st Salmon season here in BC... was an good time for the most part. Fished mostly Squamish and Vedder and a bit at Stave 

Pinks were easy.... got many ....all on the fly ... Chinook were a bit harder... got 5 on a ( new to me ) baitcaster setup ( but man what a blast ) ... Chum were fairly easy and a decent fight... Coho ....now they were hard to come by... hooked into 5 landed 2 ....kept 1 hatchery ....yumm.

Never had a steelie before but really hope to this season.

Cheers

Still lots to learn .... Learned a lot from other folks on the river.... for the most part everyone I encountered were very helpful and friendly. Met a few real dicks too....but yeah such is life ..

Met Rod ( bent Rods ) on the Vedder last Monday afternoon near the Vedder crossing ...super nice guy.... he sure made me see jigs in a whole new light!!  I am already thinking about a Centerpin setup....but I think I will go with what I know for the remainder of this season and give the pin a go next year !!

Shinny

I only keep steelies if my freezer is empty. I will eat a spring, coho, sockeye over a steelie any day. I dunno, the winter ones I caught last year tasted ok, not great. I probably won't kill a steelie all winter this year unless the freezer is empty.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

for the most part everyone I encountered were very helpful and friendly. Met a few real dicks too....but yeah such is life ..

For the most part true steelheaders are even more helpful and friendlier, and there are less dicks during the steelie season.  Stay away from the rookie two handers.........

Welcome btw.
It ain't the roe bro'

dave c

Twitchy

Judging by the graph might be a few days.