Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: float gram  (Read 2913 times)

coho killer

float gram
« on: December 26, 2015, 10:38:12 AM »

Just wondering what everyones opinion is about float gram. What gram for what kind of water?

Drewhill

Re: float gram
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 10:47:29 AM »

I like 20 for slow water, 30 for fast and if I don't feel like switching all the time I go 25.

Shinny

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »

I pretty much use a 25g all the time. Mostly because I don't want to change my float size on the river. If I lose my gear during the day I will go with a 30g for fast & 20g for slower water.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 12:03:08 PM »

I decide float size on water clarity and which river I'm fishing not from run to run. Too much effort.

fishallday

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »

20 slow fast 30
life's short stunt it

243Pete

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:29:58 AM »

Depending on where and how fast the water is, for slow pools on the Cap I'll go as light as 11,15 and 20. For the C/V I like to mostly use 25 and 30, 25 is my usual float of choice but sometimes it can make light bites hard to detect so making sure you balance out the float with weight is a good idea.
One thing you can always try is taking a long tube or a VERY tall glass and filling it with water and experimenting with float size to weight, cutting pieces of pencil lead to length, using various split shot and other types of weights till the float sits at the desired height, but remember that the type of presentation/ weight of bait/ ect at the end of your line can affect how your float behaves/ sits on the top of the water so always keep that in mind as well.