Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How far to cast before you are "accomplished"  (Read 15567 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re:How far to cast before you are "accomplished"
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2004, 10:29:25 PM »

30 to 50 feet with control and accuracy using either hand.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 08:26:44 AM »

Of course no hands would be even cooler. :D :-* ;) ;D
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 09:26:12 PM »

Funny subject...as long as you can cast where the fish are, you're doin alright i would think. Plus, there are lots of ways to cast to shorter more difficult targets, like rolling and stuff, sidecasting, etc.  I think its more about being accurate.  Just watch somebody casting into a tiny stream into a little pool while standing behind a boulder so they dont spook the fish and you understand immediately!  On lakes too distance is way less important now with the advent of float tubes and the like, at least thats my guess.

I agree distance casting is probably not very important in a lake or on a small river.  However I think when one is wading a larger river (and fast flowing like Vedder) or ocean casting, then the distance becomes important.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2004, 12:09:13 PM »

The distance you cast should be kept in relation to the trees behind you ;D

Overboard

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2004, 06:05:27 PM »

these are good distances, but you dont need to be a distance caster. you just need to cast to where the fish are. whether it be 50 or 90 feet it really is just for bragging rights. ;D
I agree.  It's not how far, but how close.  If you have good aim then you are far better off then if you can haul it off 90 ft.  But if you can get it to go 90 ft and land exatly where you aimed it then you are gooooooooood

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: How far to cast before you are "accomplished"
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004, 02:55:34 PM »

I'd say distance, accuracy, consistency and the quality of the loops are all important variables.

You have to be able to throw a forward and a backward loop in the same form, shoot a line 80-100 feet in exactly the place you want it, every time.

When you see Pros like Tom White, Steve Rajeff, etc, you'll know what I mean. Watching the pros cast is like watching art... The elegance is quite something to see.

When Tom White taught me to cast, he stepped things up a notch, and casted a 60 foot line with his finger!  Too cool.  Or has anyone seen him cast 10 flyrods at the same time? Never saw that, but I heard that was pretty impressive.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2004, 04:16:33 PM »

I have two Tom White videos for the beginning caster.  He is an excellent teacher.  They're available for lending if anybody needs them (Langley area) or check your local library.

One thing I noticed - whenever my casting really starts to suck, I dress the line, and that usually improves things about 1000%.  It has to slide freely to have any control.

The farthest I've been able to cast so far is about 65 feet with my WF6F setup.  I just started a couple of months ago so I think I'm doing OK. :)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 03:47:23 PM »

Ya.  That's about it for me (65-70' with the same setup) without losing control and acuaracy.  I think that practice is what is required and it takes a lot to get really good.  I find the double haul is my biggest failure.  I think I need more lessons and should stop chewing gum when I cast ::)

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2004, 12:00:41 AM »

I have no control or accuracy at 65 feet.  Maybe one out of 5 casts makes it that far, and of those, maybe one out of 2 or 3 unrolls properly.  At 40 or 50 feet my control is a bit better.

I've got a ways to go yet before I'm "accomplished".  But nice sunny days like the last few have made practicing a lot more fun.  :)

Went out on the Vedder yesterday and tried to cast a heavy homemade sink tip (LC-13) ... now that was a humbling experience.  I'm really looking forward to that Anglers West course on fly fishing for salmon on Oct. 23.  At this point I really need to watch someone who actually knows what they're doing.   ::)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2004, 07:17:25 PM »

When I stopped hooking my ear and the back of my head I felt I was accomplished.  ;D

When the river gets crowded, I haul out the fly rod to help make some room as Im bit of a flogger with the fly rod.  ;)

I have no excuse for my questionable casting ability as I remember when about 8 or so, Nicole introduced me to fly fishing on 'pike minnows' in the Fraser while we bar fished.  I was hooked (in several ways) on fly fishing from then on. 
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2004, 07:22:52 PM »

Of course no hands would be even cooler. :D :-* ;) ;D
that's called    trolling    dude..   heheheh