Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prime Minister's mandate letter to DFO Minister  (Read 6518 times)

ShaunO

Re: Prime Minister's mandate letter to DFO Minister
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 04:48:51 PM »

Holy schidt, Christmas came early!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »

A lot of damage to reverse, but it looks like the work is starting!

http://

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 11:44:05 PM »

Hell ya!!!! Nice to see.Let's see some action too!

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »

It couldn't be a better start. 

I would really like to see the mandate letters Harper sent his DFO ministers for comparison.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 03:57:19 PM »

It couldn't be a better start. 

I would really like to see the mandate letters Harper sent his DFO ministers for comparison.

I found a copy:

Dear Minister:

Do as I say.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Harper

Tylsie

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 06:30:02 PM »

Funny how that statement relates to reality. From what I understand, at the SEHAB conference a couple weeks ago the DFO basically said don't expect any major change to take place for 5 years and that we still have to cut the budget. Which is strange, because I know for a fact that Natural Resources Canada (NR CAN) had parts of their budget doubled to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. Not saying that NRCan isn't important, but so are the fish.

lovetofish

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »

I found a copy:

Dear Minister:

Do as I say.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Harper

This is just what Trudeau told the DFO in his mandate letter.
 " This is what you will do".

I guess there is a new dictator in town.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 09:14:40 PM »

Well, Trudeau is the Prime Minister of Canada and is technically the "boss" (for lack of a better word) of those ministers. As the Leader, he has an obligation to set the agenda for the mandate being delivered and hold his ministers to account as Canadians will in turn hold the Leader to account.  If that makes him a "dictator" then I suggest you have a very different idea of a dictator than most people.  The Liberal Party had made a number of commitments to Canadians during the Federal election and those commitments were in those mandate letters, such as the one to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard.  Trudeau, to his credit, did something that his predecessors never did before - make these mandate letters public. Doesn't seem to be a move that a dictator would necessarily do.

I guess Trudeau could have come up with a different letter for his ministers and called it: "Try to get to it if you have a chance" letter.  Like, "Please think about restoring annual federal funding for freshwater research, and make new investments in Canada’s Experimental Lakes Area when you get a chance and if you don't no big deal."....or..."Try to act on recommendations of the Cohen Commission on restoring sockeye salmon stocks in the Fraser River, but if it seems like I am getting too pushy on this because of the lack of traction on these recommendations then I will back off and let you do what you want because that's what Prime Minister should do." Would that have been better?  Just leave it open to his minister's own interpretation and self-discretion?