Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poachers encountered on the Squamish River  (Read 3651 times)

jon5hill

Poachers encountered on the Squamish River
« on: November 12, 2015, 08:07:10 PM »

I have over the years caught many coho on the Squamish river, but have never once caught a hatchery marked Coho.. out of hundreds of fish - so they are exceptionally rare to catch on that system.

I witnessed two individuals fishing with 3 rods on the Squamish river and retaining wild coho. When asked if they knew they were only supposed to keep one hatchery fish, one of the men attempted to hide his fish out of view from me, which had already had its head cut off. I plainly saw the adipose fin on the coho, and said, "that is not a hatchery fish", to which the man responded, "it is", and then I said, "No it isn't, it has an adipose fin", and he then shrugged and put the fish inside a black garbage bag and into his large backpack. I informed a local Squamish FN man who was also fishing in the area and he said he would have a word with them. Anyway - watch for these guys, and if you see them poaching be sure to call the DFO. They aptly drive a white chevy van with the roof component named "Get-Away". Quite literally a get-away van.

The men were between 50-60 years of age, with harsh eastern european accents, one balding with grey hair, the other with dark hair and both between 5'7" and 5'9". They declined to comment if they knew the regulations on the river.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:09:57 PM by jon5hill »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Poachers encountered on the Squamish River
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:28:11 PM »

I hope you gave this info to the RAPP line.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 11:48:04 PM »

Good work! Public shaming is the way to go and of course call RAPP too.

skymaster

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »

Good Job!!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 10:58:35 PM »

They aptly drive a white chevy van with the roof component named "Get-Away". Quite literally a get-away van.

A "get-away van".  I love it.  BTW, the whole van is made by Get-Away, not just the roof.  I used to build those camper vans at the plant on Bridgeport in the early 90s.  That is until the guy that made those roof components had a seizure (I suspected it was from prolonged exposure to fiberglass, epoxy, and adhesive fumes) in the middle of the shop.  I decide to finds less hazardous work.

It is unbelievable how many people are poaching like this.  The penalties really need to be stiffer. Clearly the fines and gear seizures are not deterrent enough when the chances of running into a CO is so low. Judges need to start leveling the maximum fines on those that do come before them, financially cripple them, then funnel that money back into enforcement.
Not all those who wander are lost