Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lamson guru reel... Anybody use them?  (Read 5997 times)

Stantonius

Lamson guru reel... Anybody use them?
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »

I'm thinking of purchasing a Lamson Guru 3.5 for my Sage vt2 8wt Spey. Has anybody used these reels? Any thoughts or recommendations would be totally appreciated. Applications would be steelhead (if I'm lucky) and our fall salmon fishing. Thanks

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
Re: Lamson guru reel... Anybody use them?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 08:02:53 PM »

I have never owned a Lamson product. The reviews on the reel seem to be good as well as the price point they are at.

Cheers
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 10:21:10 PM »

I have never owned a Lamson product. The reviews on the reel seem to be good as well as the price point they are at.

Cheers

I've owned that same exact reel before. Great product and I would recommend it to anyone. Get the HD version though because they are built a little tougher.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »

with an 8 weight rod I'd consider the 4.0
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Stantonius

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »

Thanks for the input guys. Totally appreciated! I'm thinking Guru 4 HD now. The reviews seem pretty good and the price works for me.

Cheers!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »

I've got a Lamson Guru 3.5 for my Sage Z-Axis 7 wt switch rod.  Excellent reel.  The only problem I've had with it (I believe this to be common with Lamson reels) is one time the "gland cap" that covers the shaft that houses the clutch got unscrewed and my spool fell off while fighting a fish.  It's hard to explain, but if you download a diagram of the guru you'll see where the gland cap screws into the reel's drag cylinder that houses the clutch.  When the incident happened, this left the clutch unguarded and exposed - and luckily it didn't just fall out into the river.  This was the Squamish and the water had some colour so I would have likely lost the small clutch if it fell out.  Once I discovered the problem, I was able to remove the gland cap from the reel spool and re-screw it back into the drag cylinder and was back fishing again.  The crazy thing is that the exact same thing happened to my buddy (Stratocaster) that same day with his Lamson Konic!

I reported the incident to Waterworks and they denied this being a problem.  However, they sent me a new gland cap that I noticed was modified from my original one.  Anyway, the lesson here is that I always check to ensure the gland cap is screwed in tightly by hand pressure before I use that reel, and I've never had that problem again.

Other than that, it's an excellent reel.  I also obtained a Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 for my switch rod, but I actually prefer using my Guru for it's functionality and efficiency when pursing salmon.  The Hardy Marquis will be reserved for Steelheading.

Stantonius

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on that FFM! I did a quick Google search on "problems with lamson gland cap" and it's definitely a problem. Many people loosing their spools, parts etc...  Apparently Lamson's service dept. is really helpful, but I would rather avoid service emails and shipping waits etc.  I really like the reel and the price is right on, but I'd always be thinking is my reel going to fall apart on this fish... Anyway the reel shopping continues. Thanks again!

c-pin

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 08:04:27 PM »

I have a Lamson Guru 3.5. It's a great reel. I would recommend it.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 10:30:54 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on that FFM! I did a quick Google search on "problems with lamson gland cap" and it's definitely a problem. Many people loosing their spools, parts etc...  Apparently Lamson's service dept. is really helpful, but I would rather avoid service emails and shipping waits etc.  I really like the reel and the price is right on, but I'd always be thinking is my reel going to fall apart on this fish... Anyway the reel shopping continues. Thanks again!

No problem Stantonius.  Aside from the gland cap issue, the Guru is a great reel and I'd still recommend it.  FYI, I found another thread on this issue here:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33809.0

Good luck!

Stantonius

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 07:17:38 AM »

Thanks for the advice on the reel guys. I ended up getting the Guru 4 HD and it's great! Balanced my 8wt vt2 perfectly and the drag is the smoothest I've ever felt. Didn't get any coho yesterday, but the chums put the new set up to the test.

Cheer!