Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Bucketlist  (Read 18103 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Coho Bucketlist
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »

I am using a level wind, but that is a good reason to get a center pin  :)

Short float a hammered silver (not nickle) Colorado blade in a No.3 (clear water) or No. 4 with a drag free drift.  I use a level wind and feel there is no need for a pin, unless of course you want a pin. I have very rarely feathered the spool to induce movement in the blade.  All the fish I have caught (coho and steel) have been on the drag free portion of the drift.  The Colorado's do not have much weight to them and the blade moves enough in the water without the need to impart movement.  However, this is not a good technique for flat frog water were there is not enough water movement to drift the set up or to move the blade.  You would be better off fishing a spoon, spinner, roe or fly in very still water.  Just my experience, YMMV, and slightly swinging a blade in tail outs may work as well as halcyon suggests.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:39:15 AM by Knnn »

fishallday

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »

got my first ho the other day on the veder what a thrill !! so much fun
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:30:20 PM by fishallday »
life's short stunt it

96XJ

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »

Thanks Knnn , I was using a copper #3 blade , i will pick up a silver one , the weekend is a comin

losos

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »

I am using a level wind , but that is a good reason to get a center pin  :)
I have both and there is no difference when drifting float . Reason for using center pin as main rod for me is the bigger challenge when fish is on the hook.

farky

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2015, 06:33:42 PM »

I have both and there is no difference when drifting float . Reason for using center pin as main rod for me is the bigger challenge when fish is on the hook.
The difference is you can fish slower moving water with a more natural drift with a pin rod. And as far as a bigger challenge at first yes, but once you learn how to do it effectively you'll find yourself reaching for the level wind a lot less. Especially after landing a few steelhead on the pin .

eager_rookie

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »

Went out this morning. Everyone caught coho but me  :-\ tried roe bags and everything else. Didn't even have a bite.... Well .....that I could tell.

At least I got to see coho in real life, lol. That was a plus.

Have you tried using spoons and spinners? I believe we fish different systems as most of the ones I'm on have a bait ban, but there's no reason why metal wouldn't be productive in your area. I know Rod uses it from time to time, judging by his posts. I find that smaller brass spoons are really productive for me this time of year, and one big benefit of them is that you can work fast and cover a good bit of water. Chuck it across river, reel in just enought to keep it from getting hung up on the bottom, and occasionally give a light twitch or two. I really like spoon fishing for 'hos, it's been a productive technique for me and it allows me to work all kinds of water. You might even have an advantage on your system if the fish are seeing bait all day.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »

The difference is you can fish slower moving water with a more natural drift with a pin rod. And as far as a bigger challenge at first yes, but once you learn how to do it effectively you'll find yourself reaching for the level wind a lot less. Especially after landing a few steelhead on the pin .

I fished a pin for a couple seasons and then went back to the level wind.
What can I say,im lazy.lol

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:01 PM »

True that firstlight. Seen that show at hot rocks and davidsons many a time years ago! Laziness that is!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Animal Chin

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2015, 11:12:45 PM »

Have you tried using spoons and spinners? I believe we fish different systems as most of the ones I'm on have a bait ban, but there's no reason why metal wouldn't be productive in your area. I know Rod uses it from time to time, judging by his posts. I find that smaller brass spoons are really productive for me this time of year, and one big benefit of them is that you can work fast and cover a good bit of water. Chuck it across river, reel in just enought to keep it from getting hung up on the bottom, and occasionally give a light twitch or two. I really like spoon fishing for 'hos, it's been a productive technique for me and it allows me to work all kinds of water. You might even have an advantage on your system if the fish are seeing bait all day.

Haven't been out too much this season, but from seasons past, from what I've seen guys using spinning rods for spoons, spinners and twitching jigs do really well for coho. It's really too bad for me I dislike using a spinning setup on the river.