Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Bucketlist  (Read 18108 times)

losos

Re: Coho Bucketlist
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »

Read the article and other posts, but I think the "talk" that is discussed is gibberish to me. Like frogwater or "rolling water", I have no idea what that looks like, so I google it, still doesn't make sense. And then "flies", I had some fishermen say they tied flies, and it was cotton, but I thought flies were well, "tied flies, that look like bugs". I'm just trying to get clear information that I can make sense of. No shortcuts, just goals. Goals are healthy  ;) a few weeks with the right techniques, I'm sure I'll at least have a bite, which I'm happy with.
I wouldn't call wool a fly . Generally flies can imitate bugs, but also eggs or fry or have nothing to do with imitating anything alive just pure imagination of whoever ties that "fly".
My advice would be to arm yourself with as many different lures as you can and try them during your trip. Also try different depths. Some guy catching above or below may have used certain depth that doesn't apply to your spot .
Just experiment.
Last weekend I had to change the depth  while standing in the same spot just because river was getting less water flow.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »

I actually tie egg patterns with wool.  I tie in a few short pieces with a few wraps of thread across the middle.  I then use a needle to "pull" the wool apart and fluff it up, then I trim into the shape of a single egg. I sometimes add a bit of white fur to simulate milt.
Not all those who wander are lost

turbine

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2015, 05:07:16 PM »

I learned a lot from this thread, thanks

ali2pali

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »

The perfect end to this thread would be a photo of a freshly bonked 'ho caught by Luna.

96XJ

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2015, 06:44:01 PM »

I have had very poor season for coho as well , most fishers in my area use roe or maybe wool ( probably because they have no roe left ) , i have roe and have only caught coho here in the river with roe

i watched a guy take a coho with a spinner under a float on the weekend , i have no confidence with that , i wish i did , any advice on that would be greatly appreciated

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »

Or a nice wild coho, gently released. ;)
Not all those who wander are lost

Nineteethree

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »

I have had very poor season for coho as well , most fishers in my area use roe or maybe wool ( probably because they have no roe left ) , i have roe and have only caught coho here in the river with roe

i watched a guy take a coho with a spinner under a float on the weekend , i have no confidence with that , i wish i did , any advice on that would be greatly appreciated

I have had a bad season for Coho as well. Hopefully it will change real quick. I have used both roe and Colorado's, and I am the opposite of you. Every Coho I have ever caught except for one has been on a Colorado. I try to change my depths when they are not taking my blade.

96XJ

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »

Do you float the blade like you would with roe or do you cast and retrieve to get the spinner or blade moving or a combination of the 2 , kind of cast downstream and bring the lure through a zone ?

Nineteethree

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2015, 07:13:59 PM »

Do you float the blade like you would with roe or do you cast and retrieve to get the spinner or blade moving or a combination of the 2 , kind of cast downstream and bring the lure through a zone ?

I am using a center pin reel, I cast it up stream and let it drift. Every single strike I have ever had has been at the end of my drift. I am sure the more experienced guys on here can elaborate on what works best.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 08:05:18 PM »

Drift it just like roe or a jig. Once it gets downstream from you a bit, you can hold your thumb on the spool just a tiny tiny bit and it will increase the action on the blade while still having a fairly natural drift.

Krisandluna

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2015, 11:48:42 PM »

Or a nice wild coho, gently released. ;)

Challenge accepted! 8)  :o

Stevejet

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2015, 01:43:58 AM »

I'm new to fishing for salmon and new to the vedder so I was wondering if anyone had any tips to catching coho? I've read so many articles, watched tons of video (especially by Rodney) but, still have not caught a coho, not even seen them.

but coho is on my Bucketlist and I cannot seem to even find them.

I've been fishing the tail of pools, calm waters, early mornings, spoons, roe, spinners all with no luck.

I was on the familiar situation as you Luna.
Fairly new river fishing for salmon. I've caught pinks, chums and a dirty old spring.
Fished for 4 hours yesterday morning at the Vedder. I finally caught my very first coho.
It was a nice chrome hatchery doe coho. I used pro cured chum roe. It was a very light hit, but i managed to set the hook and kinda horsed it in cause i was too excited .
So Luna, it can be done. Just try,try, try and persevere.
Good luck out there and tight lines.

96XJ

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2015, 08:29:52 AM »

Drift it just like roe or a jig. Once it gets downstream from you a bit, you can hold your thumb on the spool just a tiny tiny bit and it will increase the action on the blade while still having a fairly natural drift.
I kind of figured you need to hold it off a bit to get the blade working , need to end your drift into the pool where the fish are , so i have been doing it correct , just need to keep trying

Thx

96XJ

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »

I am using a center pin reel, I cast it up stream and let it drift. Every single strike I have ever had has been at the end of my drift. I am sure the more experienced guys on here can elaborate on what works best.

I am using a level wind , but that is a good reason to get a center pin  :)

Krisandluna

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »

Went out this morning. Everyone caught coho but me  :-\ tried roe bags and everything else. Didn't even have a bite.... Well .....that I could tell.

At least I got to see coho in real life, lol. That was a plus.