Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Bucketlist  (Read 18012 times)

Krisandluna

Coho Bucketlist
« on: October 31, 2015, 10:12:12 PM »

I'm new to fishing for salmon and new to the vedder so I was wondering if anyone had any tips to catching coho? I've read so many articles, watched tons of video (especially by Rodney) but, still have not caught a coho, not even seen them.

I've been lucky enough to encounter some fishermen who share a wealth of info with me pertaining to catching all other species, which I've had lots of luck, but coho is on my Bucketlist and I cannot seem to even find them.

People say, " look for frog water, rolling etc" what does that mean? I've been fishing the tail of pools, calm waters, early mornings, spoons, roe, beads, spinners all with no luck.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated (what type of line, how many lbs, whens the best time, what type of water, anything.....) as I want to at least feel one on my line before the season is over!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:21:23 PM by Krisandluna »

TheLostSockeye

Re: Coho Bucketlist
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 11:22:42 PM »

Sent you a pm. hope you got it. Everybody deserves to get at least one coho.

Krisandluna

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 11:32:31 PM »

I did! Thank you, just figuring out how to reply :)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 11:49:06 PM »

I did! Thank you, just figuring out how to reply :)
If you are not a subscriber, I don't think you CAN reply.

ali2pali

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 02:13:53 PM »

If anyone can help, it would appear that the LS is the guy for the job. His catch photos are humbling.
I'm unfortunately in the same boat as Luna. Many trips but nothing to show for it...I know if I keep at it I'll get something eventually. I just hope I haven't missed the peak run!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »

I hear ya. I've been after them since March, and I've only caught three, one of which had too many fins for the table.

I have a very low success to failure ratio. Far as I can tell, I'm doing everything right, using the right stuff, at the right place, at the right times. Some folk just catch more than others.

Still a few fishing days left I hope, once this water from the sky stops...

Krisandluna

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »

I hear ya. I've been after them since March, and I've only caught three, one of which had too many fins for the table.

I have a very low success to failure ratio. Far as I can tell, I'm doing everything right, using the right stuff, at the right place, at the right times. Some folk just catch more than others.

You're lucky if you're getting any. I haven't even seen one up close, just pictures....

nevertoolate

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »

me neither.  multiple trips with nothing.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »

----> the OP, relax.   

You are a new angler, don't expect everything to come together at once. 

If you have watched all the videos and followed all the threads you probably have enough of an idea to be in the ball park to catch fish. From your description of where and how you are fishing you have the right idea.  Give it 1-2 more years and you will find you are starting to catch these fish. Enjoy catching other species, the accumulated knowledge and experience you gain, and more time on the water, will pay off in the end.

eager_rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 09:46:21 PM »

Didn't get a sniff my first season, hammered em early and often the next, and then didn't get my first one till late October this year... which was quickly followed by 12-14 more in the next two hours. Fish a lot of water, fish slow water, fish close to the bottom, vary your retrieve (if you're chucking spinners spoons or flies). You'll be tailing chrome soon enough.

eager_rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »

The two bits of advice I gleaned from everyday's posts that were the most helpful (more than colours, gear, etc) were to switch up your retrieve until you find something that works, and switch out your gear if you make five swings through a run without getting a hit. Coho are, in my experience, either totally lock-lipped or really aggressive, and if they're gonna hit what you're chucking at em they'll hit it the first or second time they see it. Fish aggressively. Mix it up. Try new retrieves, new lures.

I bought all types/colours of gear early on and would run everything I had through fishy water at a variety of speeds until something got hammered. After a season, I have two colour patterns of spinners and two patterns of spoons I use almost exclusively, and they do really well for me. I have a couple go-to types of retrieves I use for different types of water. It really only took a season and a half of serious, dedicated experimentation before I had the confidence and knowledge to go out and know I was going to get into coho.

However, that coho frustration isnt totally in my past just yet. I just started fly fishing this summer and haven't gotten one on the fly rod yet this season. It's humbling to feel like I'm starting all over again, but looking forward to a whole new world of knowledge that will open up to me.

Drewhill

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »

No offense but this thread is a great example of what's wrong with anglers these days. Too many people looking for the quick answer to catch fish. Best advise is to just keep going out there. Even if you're not catching look for people who are and take notes.

Also if you're this frustrated finding coho I highly suggest you don't try going for steelhead lol

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »

However, that coho frustration isnt totally in my past just yet. I just started fly fishing this summer and haven't gotten one on the fly rod yet this season. It's humbling to feel like I'm starting all over again, but looking forward to a whole new world of knowledge that will open up to me.

Ha! Looks like I'm getting all my frustrations out of the way at once then:)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 10:25:16 PM »

No offense but this thread is a great example of what's wrong with anglers these days. Too many people looking for the quick answer to catch fish.

Got nothing nice to say, don't say it.

OP is looking for tips to can help her in her future trips, not a short cut like those so-called experienced anglers always choose to believe. You can go out and keep doing the same thing, and not catch any without knowing why. To say that one should just keep going out there, that's probably the most useless advice which can be given. What if OP ends up watching someone long lining fish and successfully bringing in fish?

Here are some of my recommendations.

Personally, I find coho salmon in tailouts, stagnant pools, or waters where very little disturbance can be found. Coho salmon are easily spooked, especially when the river level is low, and more especially in rivers where fishing pressure is high. If you are fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder River system, you'll need to be familiar with the spots, which ones work best at what river level, which ones work best during which part of the season, etc. Over time, you develop a system and start reading the hydrograph, and pick your spots based on your past trips.

Fishing at the right times of the day is key. I like to be at the river before dawn so I can be at the spot where I want to fish before others get to it. Sometimes the bites occur at first light, but more often than not I find the bite suddenly starts an hour after first light for 30 minutes to 2 hours. If first light is not possible, then try the evening hours. Lots of time, during coho and steelhead season, the last couple hours before dark are the most quiet times on this river. Take last week for example, I had more success fishing in the evenings than early in the mornings because fishing pressure was almost absent in the evenings.

Using the right method. Float fishing with good roe is what most tends to stick to, but I've had way more success by casting and retrieving a spoon or spinner. Last Friday just before the river blew out, we fished a run where around ten other anglers were also working on. Most stuck to the tailout where it had been producing earlier in the week, by fishing roe. Only three fish were caught between the ten or so anglers. We chose to stay further upstream in the head of the run and flicked a spoon 20 ft out and retrieved as if we were bass fishing. That yielded four coho in about an hour.

You'll have another month to experiment, coho fishing should be good right until the end of November as long as the river comes back to shape. Lots of fish are still being intercepted in the Fraser so there should still be fresh fish coming into the system.

Good luck!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 07:58:37 AM »

Try not to get too discouraged.  Coho are the most difficult to catch of the salmon species.  I remember one year where I caught more steelhead than coho on the Vedder!  Anyway, the advice given here is spot on.  Also, I like to use as light (stealthy) of gear as possible.  Mainline of 12 or even 10 lb Maxima Ultragreen, clear floats, small weights, fluorocarbon leaders, and small hooks.  Fresh cured roe is the ticket and will be much more productive than store bought roe.  Rod and others have already talked about other presentations including hardware (spoons/spinners).  I have also picked up coho using sparse wool ties in peach/pink when the roe is not working.

To exacerbate the problem, I believe we're experiencing a low coho return this year.  The coho fishing for me has been far less productive than the last five seasons.  Sure there are a few guys who are catching lots of coho, and that's great to see.  But these guys are on the river every day and probably know it very well.  There will always be certain spots that will hold coho.  Anyway, this year I've retained 14 hatchery fish, released about a dozen wild and a few jacks, with a landing success ratio of about 50%.  This will equate to about 50 coho hooked so far on the Vedder/Chilliwack.  Not bad, but there have been times in the last few seasons where I've hooked that many fish in just a couple of mornings.

In the end, experience will pay dividends.  Get to learn the river and holding spots.  See where coho are being hooked and what people are using (hopefully not flossing). Fish away from the spring holes.  Most of all, have fun!   :)